Changed spare room into clownfish nursery

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Nana Chloropsis

It all started one night. I was sad because I watched Mom and Pop clown carefully tend another batch of eggs and I knew they were all going to magically gone the next morning. I started reading forums about raising them, bought Joyce Wilkerson's book on the subject and bought rotifers and all the equipment to start them up. Then, the insanity began.

The parents are in a 29 with their RBTA and a few softies. Really, my intention there was just to put more corals in there. The good thing is now, if I add a rock or aquascape at ALL, they stop their every-two week spawning. Seriously, I had to stop or I would have a thousand babies by now. The babies are in 3 10 gallon tanks.

This really has been a great learning experience for me and I really do enjoy looking at the babies. They are like puppies once they reach metamorphosis, so cute and full of antics.

I made a short ( 5 min) video to try and capture a bit of clownfish baby essence. Please enjoy! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mNqftUVRys

That's really cool, I wanna have baby clowns some day. I bred several kinds of cichlids in the past, and miss having the little baby fish. They are kinda like puppies though, once they start getting bigger, you get anxious to get rid of them!

Here are a couple of full room shots... if I take out my granddaughters bed I can probably fit more tanks in. My neighborhood will refer to me then as the Crazy Clownfish Lady.... so, I say no!

I keep 2 buckets of rotifers inside when I need them for feeding larvae. If I want plain rotifers I feed them with Nannochloropsis, when I have babies I feed Roti-Grow Plus. It's enriched with HUFA and I find I have very little mortality when use it. I keep the larval tank a pale green, it keeps the larvae away from clinging to the sides of the tank and I believe helps them find a rotifer better, plus it co-cultures rotifers a little. By morning the green has almost dissipated and I can do a thorough vac of the bottom of the tank(s)- they are SO messy!

The equipment I need is shown in pic 2. I start the larvae out on Otohime A, on morning 5 and by the 8th day it is their primary food, rotifers are just a treat after that. After Metamorphosis, day 10-12, I start feeding larger Otohime, baby brine shrimp, crushed flakes and frozen cyclopeze and add the sponge filter. Still I vac the tanks and do small water changes daily.

The gross looking buckets outside are my Rotifer Ponds. I don't feed them, just check their salinity. An algae film develops on the walls and surface,(they are on a south wall) leaves fall in and I always have an ample supply. May put them in the garage for the winter though...

If anyone who hasn't raised clowns before wants to give it a try, ask or PM and I'll do my best to help. I gave rotifers to one member here already who is raising a black and white with a regular ocellaris and hope he is having great success!

Nice job! they look really good . if mine ever start laying
i might have to get some help from ya .:)

.......key word IF hahaha

HAY Crazy Clownfish Lady... I want a Room Just like Your's.. Thanks for sharing..

Back