Changing Carbon

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

tdgates10

Designer Reef
I'm starting to run Carbon in my phosban reactor. I used to run it on my larger tank and would run it 24/7 and change it every 2 weeks. I used ROX and pushed it with a Maxi-jet 1200. So, I've been doing some reading and most says that the Carbon is depleted after about 2-4 days, others say to run it and change it every 2 weeks, which I was doing previously. So, is it a waste to run it 24/7? What should the monthly routine be for carbon? By the way this is for 70 total gallons of water. Thanks.

So, I've been doing some reading and most says that the Carbon is depleted after about 2-4 days,

Well, carbon doesn't "deplete" per se. The adsorption pores can start getting filled up with detritus and biofilms. You're running this in a reactor as opposed to a filter bag so that should lengthen the useful life of your carbon a lot.

others say to run it and change it every 2 weeks, which I was doing previously. So, is it a waste to run it 24/7? What should the monthly routine be for carbon? By the way this is for 70 total gallons of water. Thanks.

running 24/7 and changing every two weeks seems like a good plan to me.

Back