Changing salt mix

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

NaH2O said:
Matt - do you have a phosphate test kit? I'm interested in phosphate contet, as well.

I found a post from mojo awhile back, and it shows some info on the phosphate content of some salt brands. Tropic Marin is high in phosphates, so Dwaine, that is something to consider: Single Post - Phosphate discussion
No I don't.....sorry about that.

Hey Nikki - why haven't you posted a picture of your Christmas tree on the thread I started?

Hey Nikki - why haven't you posted a picture of your Christmas tree on the thread I started?
LOL - because we don't have a tree up. With the ceiling damage from my flood, we've had to do quite a bit of rearranging, so there isn't really a spot for it. I may have one up for the Christmas weekend because Santa might put it up when he comes, then it will come down when we get back to repairs. :) It all depends on how industrious Santa feels....

I too love these types of threads. If I did this right, there should be a jpg file with the mix level using Oceanic Salt mixed to their specs. Let me say that I have been using Oceanic Salt since before it was available to the public and I have had no issues with it in any aquarium. These range from 16 gallon nano's to 300 gallon reefs. All these systems are doing fine and even the SPS corals are growing a exceptional rates.

I would agree that the salinity level could be higher. With the average salinity around 35 PPT in the worlds oceans, Oceanic comes in around 29 to 32 PPT.

Here comes the problem. If you try to push up the salinity to 35 PPT by adding more Oceanic salt, you are also going to push up other levels as well. This is where I believe the Mg issue is coming from. If you mix Oceanic salt as they recommend, you will not have the issue with other levels.

I have sent the Oceanic people a request to look into this issue. They responded and I sent them additional supporting documentation on salinity levels. Who knows, maybe they will make a change and raise the salinity of their salt and hold everything else level. For the time being, I will be getting some sodium chloride to raise the salinity only.

Last edited:
Now that makes sense, regardless how you do it, it is still easier to add what is desired than over do it.

So Im stuck with 2 90gal containers of Oceanic. From all that reading can or can I not mix it with IO salt. If so what ratio should I go with. Hate to waste all this salt.

MINIATUS :confused:

yes you can mix it. i've heard ratios of 1/4 oceanic to 3/4 IO. i've also heard 50/50 mixes.

i'd do a gallon of both and measure the alk/calc and see what the readings are and go with the one that best fits your needs.

I have attached the flyer stating the mix levels of Oceanic salt.

When it comes to mixing different salts, the only formula to use is follow the manufacturers recommended mix rate and then mix the two batches of water together and see what you end up with. 50:50 or 25:75 is just a guess. Whatever you do, I would do it in small amounts. The next thing we will all be reading is how your corals are bleaching and you have lost fish.

Remember, your corals and fish live in this stuff. :idea:

Back