Cheap PC, anyone have any thoughts?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

looks like a good deal considering the bulbs alone ar 25 to 30 ea. not sure on the branding though.

looks like its all plactic .... might be a long term problem, worse case. its a good short term solution.

New%20CF%20mounting%20legs%20installation%20instruction.jpg

i know from what i've read that their stuff has been getting better, the bulbs are lower quality i think, being only like $10-15 i think rather than $20-25 so that reduces the cost a bit

Looks like the discontinued coralife

Looks idenical to a cora life,and i would bet they bought a bunch of housings when cora life changed their design a year or so ago[removeable ballast,new leg dasign,and replacable moon lights.I would go for it,just check the waranty,and return policy first.

well, its a 60 gallon, which is 15 wide and 18 deep. Thats 4.33 watts per gallon, but I have been recently told watts per gallon is not the formula to use anymore regarding PC.

I will be useing eggcrate platforms to bring stuff closer to the light, but I am wondering if this being such a deep tank that going PC is just going to make me mad that I can't grow anything on the bottom(clams) down the line.

Last edited:
It depends on the distance. How far above the tank. A bb or dsb will also impact the intensity. I think it a lot of light for the money. As far as the watts per gallon stuff. It may not be the best way to calculate proper lighting requirements but for most people it's practical. I'd get it up to about 8+...

Himm, 8 plus seems like a bit much for right now... This light, which I allready bought(the price was right=-) would give me about 4.3 watts per gallon, which seems like a good starting point, considering I can put the corals as close to the top as I want. I have heard with this type of moveable grid that distance from light is more of a factor then gallons.

One of the guys I have been talking to here that is old school has constantly said that watts per gallon is just not accurate for powercompacts, and that they put off more "actual watts" then what is listed, I don't compleatly understand what he was trying to say, but he was very adament about it.

Last edited:
If it's what I'm thinking of use caution. System is not UL listed, and last time I had a close look it's not grounded - shock and fire hazzard.

Never be afraid to buy quality ...... you won't be dissapointed!

Best,
Wil

oh, its 96 watts so thats 7.2 watts per gal. std 55 galon long, no sps .....? do ya think sps will be ok in that wattage? I really dont.

Well, the basement here is not exaclty ul listed as far as I am concerned. My last place didn't have one single grounded outlet in the whole house.... I figure I am safe as long as I dont let it fall in.

It seems that this fixture would be great for 8 months or so, and then theroretically it could just go into the storage room and I could move on to bigger and better things.

Himm, 8 plus seems like a bit much for right now... This light, which I allready bought(the price was right=-) would give me about 4.3 watts per gallon, which seems like a good starting point, considering I can put the corals as close to the top as I want. I have heard with this type of moveable grid that distance from light is more of a factor then gallons.

One of the guys I have been talking to here that is old school has constantly said that watts per gallon is just not accurate for powercompacts, and that they put off more "actual watts" then what is listed, I don't compleatly understand what he was trying to say, but he was very adament about it.

It's an excellent starting point and should work well. Looked like a real good deal. As I eluded to earlier, watts per gallon is not the most accurate way to calculate lighting but it can get you pretty darn close to meeting your demands. I'm at 10.12 and goin to 14.

Back