Chiller failed - any fixers?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

class clown

Chiller failed last night and turned into a heater vs. a chiller. I'm up to 86 degrees this morning before I turned it off. Any good local places to take it for repair? I purchased it second hand, so don't think there is a warranty on it any longer.

Ben

Ben,
Turn it off, and clean fins on radiator. Check the pump or flow through your chiller. Try to plug it back in after doing all that and see if any change.
Maybe you will get lucky.

Last edited:
They are pretty simple machines based on refrigeration.
Only real difference is that there is a titanium coil cooling a tank of water in lieu of air blowing though aluminum radiator fins.
I would bet it got a small leak and lost it's coolant.
Any place that services air conditioners should be able to fix it up.

sounds good guys. I'll mess with it when I get home tonight and see if it's something simple, if not I'll make some calls to air conditioner servicers. thanks!

you can see in my signature it is at 85.5. It was at 86 when i woke up this morning so looks like the fan I put over the sump is working a bit.

Ben

Thanks Jan. All looked ok this morning at 86 degrees... Looks like it has dropped to 85.2.

should be fine, but I know i'm flirting with danger at these temps

took it apart - fan was gunked w. some cat hair. I cleaned it off and lubbed it up and it works fine again. just a reminder to everyone to add this to your regular preventative maintanence list..;)

got a call back from pacific coast - the guy I spoke with was very friendly and knowledgable..

he helped me pinpoint the problem - the fan. he offered 2 options

1) clean it with wd40 and then use some white lithium grease
2) if that doesn't work, I can get a new fan motor shipped out for $60 plus shipping.

So far, option #1 seems to be working. if it doesn't, I'll migrate to option #2. I also reprogrammed my aquacontroller with a fail safe that shuts the chiller off if the temp gets to hot (result of fan stopping and turning into a heater)... keep your fingers crossed.

Ben

Back