Chiller?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

blk822822

It's only money, RIGHT?
I may need to get a chiller for the summer but don't know what size to get.I don't know anything about them. I have a 75 gal DT and a 20 gal sump with 2 250MH lights. I have a fan on the tank now but today my temp got high. I want to be ready to buy one but want it big enough for a larger tank when I upgrade .....someday. I will probly not upgrade past a 150 but a 90 to 120 is more like it.

I'd guess you would want maybe 1/4 HP or 1/5 HP for a 75? Not really sure though.

I acquired a free 1/12 HP chiller for my 75, and I'm thinking it isn't going to be enough. Luckly haven't needed anything yet.

Hoping I can make it through the hot spell with my 1/12 HP chiller and fans, but suspect I may need to supplement that with some frozen 2 liter bottles floating in my sump. We'll see....

the bigger the tank the less heat issues. I always used fans to cool my tanks down this one I have set ok for now since I am not used to the summers hear but can't be worse then nevada thats for sure. clip on fans pointed at the water surface keeps the temps stable I had tthem come on when the lights did so they were not running 24/7

I'd agree with the earlier recommendation of 1/4 or 1/5 HP. Most manufacturers will have recommendations on their website to help you choose which chiller to buy.

Mike

if you are going to get a chiller and there is a small possibility that you might ever upgrade I would suggest going a size larger. JMHO/ good luck

I would look at a minimum of a 1/4 horse chiller. I have one that I am selling due to a recent upgrade if your interested.

Back