Chromis Vs. RBTA

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Inconservatory

Hi all,

When it comes to feeding time, I'm usually greeted lovingly by my green chromis. Today, however, I spied one less chromis than was to be expected. I'm not sure what happened to the little chap. After doing a full water test, I've found my ammonia to be higher than the norm (0.50ppm), but the rest of the levels are normal.

I'm not sure what the cause of death would be (with the ammonia spike, I assume it's dead). A few days ago, while feeding my rose bubble tipped anemone, one chromis rushed into the cnidarian to steal the food, but quickly regretted that action. Would a quick sting from an RBTA be enough to kill a green chromis, or is there something else happening in my tank which I should be wary of?

As far as possible threats living within the aquarium, there is a coral banded shrimp, two peppermint shrimp, a hammer coral, frogspawn, and the RBTA. Any thoughts or related experiences?

RBTA's are usually a pretty good tank mate, but I've seen them eat fish before...were you able to find the carcass?

A buddy of mine actually has pictures of his eating a Naso Tang - that wasn't a good day.

Wow, that's terrible for your buddy! How big were the RBTA and Naso? Was the tang in poor health, or just not fast enough?

I haven't seen any physical evidence of a fish left to rot (which rarely ever happens in a labyrinth of rockwork and plethora of little scavengers, but the RBTA did look a little stuffed for a couple of days.

If your tank is set up with enough LR and has adequate skimming and flow. A single dead chromis should not be causing an ammonia spike. Unless of course its a 5G nano.

i have had a RBTA and chromis for awhile and have not run into this problem. if the chromis are small, alot of times they are fragile and small functuations in chemistry/ammonia can do them in

Hi all,

When it comes to feeding time, I'm usually greeted lovingly by my green chromis. Today, however, I spied one less chromis than was to be expected. I'm not sure what happened to the little chap. After doing a full water test, I've found my ammonia to be higher than the norm (0.50ppm), but the rest of the levels are normal.

I'm not sure what the cause of death would be (with the ammonia spike, I assume it's dead). A few days ago, while feeding my rose bubble tipped anemone, one chromis rushed into the cnidarian to steal the food, but quickly regretted that action. Would a quick sting from an RBTA be enough to kill a green chromis, or is there something else happening in my tank which I should be wary of?

As far as possible threats living within the aquarium, there is a coral banded shrimp, two peppermint shrimp, a hammer coral, frogspawn, and the RBTA. Any thoughts or related experiences?

My Coral Banded Shrimp attacked and ate my Scooter Blenny...I was pissed.

Ugh, Freakin, the CBS is a terribly cute menace. I watched him grab a serpent star out of the rockwork and start devouring it. Although a turkey baster won't teach him not to do it again, I can rest easy knowing that one star can live to fight another day. The CBS walks all over the corals, and even steps on the RBTA!

You have a good point, though. There's a pretty high chance that the shrimp caught a weakened chromis and had its nasty way with the poor lil' bugger.

Just like in my tank, yesterdat morning, I was missing one Gromis, could not find him anywhere, suddenly at feeding time, I see one of my Blue Leg Hermit holding a Gromis .........

Han

Never lost a fish to a shrimp or a crab. I even had an arrow crab for about 6 months and he just up and died one day. He took up an area an inch or two bigger than a soft ball. He'd eat an entire silverside twice a week.

He'd run up to the top of the tank and take it from my hand. I miss the little feller.

Back