clam color pigmentation

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

taichimaster

Just wondering what are the necessary steps in preventing clams losing it's color and if so, how to help them regain it.

I had the clams in a small 20 gallon with 150watt halide.

I now have them under 250watt halide in a 75 gallon.

I have one maxima towards the top and a squamosa at the bottom on the sandbed.

Clams will bleach thier color if they don't have enough light. To remedy this you need to put them under good lighting and just give it time. In a 75g with only one 250w light you need to have the maxima's up as close to the light on the rocks as possible. The squamosa should be fine on the sand. If your clams aren't used to strong light you will need to acclimate them to it. Just slowly move them up on the rocks over a few day pieriod.

I actually have 2 250watt halides and the maxima is right at the top now for a week. It was a gold maxima, but now it looks more brown.

It was in a 20 gallon with 150 halides for roughly 5 months. just recently moved it over to the 250 halide 75gallon tank 2 weeks ago.

Clams brown out just like sps. Under production of zooanthelle will usually give you a more white coloration depending on the pigmentation of the clam. Over production will give you a brown looking clam. 250w halides with decent lower K bulbs is fine for just about anywhere in a 75G including the sand bed. Iwould just let it be for awhile since you just changed tanks. It may take a year for it to color back up.

Don

pictures

Don,
what do you mean by under or over production of zooanthelle? I assume it is over production since it is brown. anything I can do? Or just leave it be? here are a before and after picture.

Don,
what do you mean by under or over production of zooanthelle? I assume it is over production since it is brown. anything I can do? Or just leave it be? here are a before and after picture.

I'd just leave it be for awhile it hasnt been long enough. Zooanthelle is the symbiotic algae feeding the clam. The wrong light spectrum and/or intensity will cause the clam to either bleach or brown. The right amount and color will allow a balance so the clam can feed and show its true color pigments.

Don

Back