clams not looking good.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

NaTe R

is there a common sign that a clam might be dieing?

mine has been shut yesterday and today. i messed with it a bit and it still closes a bit but doesnt want to open. i would guess mine is about 8 or so years old

anybody know the average life expectancy of a crocea clam is?

They live a lot longer than 8 years old...

Being shut can indicate a few things; it could be that something is picking on it (and you happen to be seeing it when it is closed). It could mean something in the environment is causing harm or any number of other issues (some good and some not so good).

First think I would do is to get as much carbon running in the system ASAP; this will help remove contaminates in the water that may be causing the clam to close and watch it for a while; see if it tries to open.

Do you see anything around on the shell? Anything around the foot (can you see the foot; does it look healthy and firmly attached)? Keep a sharp eye out for small snails (like 1/8 - 1/4"); that would not be good if you find them.

Any pictures?

new carbon went in earlyer today.

DSC_0024.jpg

side
DSC_0025-1.jpg

other side
DSC_0026-1.jpg

let me know if you see anything that may be doing this, the only thing i noticed that was new what that white sponge thing in the second picture

It isn't looking good but it doesn't appear that the mantel has separated either so it might recover if you can figure the cause. Add carbon, water change if possible; basically anything that can remove the possibility of water born contaminate.

Do you see any snails; small, shapped like a cone? look around the mantel and around the foot if you can see it.

First thing I wanna know is what the heck is growing on the sides? If those are mushrooms like I think they are, they could be stinging the mantle or out competing it for food/light.

water parameters? also how long have the mushrooms been there? they could be be stinging the mantel like faciosity said

They look like tiny grains of rice that are pointy on the end. Check for them just below the mantle at night. If that is your problem, then you will have to manually pick them off for several weeks until they are all gone. I've heard that wrasses will eat them too. I would start by removing the shrooms though, even if they aren't the cause, they aren't helping the situation. You should never let anything grow on your clams.

Most things wouldn't hurt it right away from growing on it, but over time it can cause irritation to the mantle or actually start growing over it so that it wouldn't get enough light. Did you check for the snails late at night when the lights go off? I had those pests a while back, and never saw any during the day, but found at least a dozen every night for about 2 weeks.

Don't know much about clams at all, but I did want to mention that it looks like you have some pretty good sized bubble algae in the pictures. I would suggest taking your time and try to remove them from the tank without popping them. You really don't want them spreading throughout your whole tank. I had some and they were a pain in the neck!! Good luck with the clam :)

Most things wouldn't hurt it right away from growing on it, but over time it can cause irritation to the mantle or actually start growing over it so that it wouldn't get enough light. Did you check for the snails late at night when the lights go off? I had those pests a while back, and never saw any during the day, but found at least a dozen every night for about 2 weeks.

Not necessarily true. Especially for this clam. T.Crocea in nature will burrow into the rock and be covered mostly by corals and detritus. Only the mantel will be exposed during the day light hours.
This clam seems to be suffering from lack of a substrate to bed into. Has it been on the glass for the entire 8 years? Try moving it up to the rocks and see if that helps.
Also have you added any new fish recently? You may have a fish that has decided that the clam is a food source.

Wrasse; yup, found your problem... I have a beautiful clam (about 10" wide) that now lives in my refug because it was easier to catch the clam than the wrasse:(

Last edited:
Back