cleaner clams

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

125g

i wasnt sure if this goes here since it is giant clam section but it is a clam so here it goes.. i was reading on cleaner clams and want to buy a couple to filter out some nitrates in the water my question is can i put them in the sand of my fuge so i can keep a closer eye on them and if the die are easily removable? Will they do the same job in here since all of the water comes through here anyways? or do you have to put the clams in the actual display tank so they can filter out the sand beds?

they can go in the fuge as they are great nitrate removers. they will swim and move around. but a faser place is the fuge depending on your fish in the display as they may eat them. I had some lost because I left town before I finished acclimating them. came back and they were in a bag dead. 30 bucks lost over a weekend.

sorry dont mean to hop in your thread but where r u goin to get these guys from?

i am unsure at the moment i dont really want to put sand in my sump i like it with the clean bottom so i need to know if they will live fine with just the glass bottom does anyone know?

want to buy a couple to filter out some nitrates in the water

This may seem like a silly question.......Why are you planning on having nitrates?

With proper feeding , not overstocking, enough skimming and natural biofiltration. You should never have to worry about it. ;)

This may seem like a silly question.......Why are you planning on having nitrates?

With proper feeding , not overstocking, enough skimming and natural biofiltration. You should never have to worry about it. ;)

well yes very good point but i would think having a few of these could never hurt just in case i do have nitrates

I bought a few of these guys (5) but so far havn't noticed them helping out in the nitrate dept. yet. When I bought mine, I was told they preferred a sand bed. I don't know if I just don't have enough to make a difference or not on my nitrate level.

I bought a few of these guys (5) but so far havn't noticed them helping out in the nitrate dept. yet. When I bought mine, I was told they preferred a sand bed. I don't know if I just don't have enough to make a difference or not on my nitrate level.

I got 2 in a CUC . they dug into the sand with in a few seconds and disapered. I found there shells a few weeks latter empty.

Back