Cleaning bottom of sump ideas

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

csababubbles

Some of my sumps sit very low to the ground making impossible to siphon out the debris that settles to the bottom. Do you guys have any ideas on how to remove that stuff?

Shop Vac?
Spa Broom?
Maxijet connected to a vinyl tube?

shop vac ? seriously? shop vacs are meant for water actually but i never thought of using one considering it would suck out a ton of water. hmm.. i guess just have one that its only role is cleaning the sump ? maybe one with a low setting or something.

You have to mostly drain the sump if using a shop vac. I have a tiny 3 gallon just for sump cleaning and its been used for 5 years with no trouble.

Don

You have to mostly drain the sump if using a shop vac. I have a tiny 3 gallon just for sump cleaning and its been used for 5 years with no trouble. Don

Drained, got it.

ahh gotcha. great idea. i always just hooked a powerhead up to a hose and pumped it into a bucket of water.
This is what I did on my 180's sump

On my little one now, the baster is pretty easy and nothing to clean

Python water change hose that creates a syphon with your faucet.
I use it for my entire water syphoning, tank and sump.

from the killer of a ridgit 2 the crew of e world fish town.

salt water and shop vacs are bad,

regular fresh water No problem, all day sucking water,

But salt, is diffrent... If you do use a shop vac suck some fresh water b4 storeing

power head and hose, is my preference

Kinda a novice question for a pro like you. Does this mean you are going to stop putting down others that have oppinions other than your own?

What I would do is drop a maxi-jet in there with some 1/2 ID vinyl tube on the output into whatever container you use. Works great.

The turkey baster will work nicely. I have been trying to figure out a way to get that crud out of the bottom of my mini-sump and bakpak skimmer. I hate taking the skimmer off. Don't know if the turkey baster is long enough though. Will definitely give it a try. If that doesn't work will try the little shopvac.

In a full sump? 110 v un-sealed motor sounds kinda dangerous

I hope one is smart enough to drain as much water out first before they use the shop vac.;)

I have a 150G sump and I dont drain any water out of it before using my shop vac. I highly recommmend putting only the hose into the water or into the sump chamber. NOT THE MOTOR. I suck the detritous off the bottom in two rounds. Voila! Clean sump, 20G WC. Ten minutes.

Back