cleaning routines

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

daytonaconnecti

i was just wandering what everyones cleaning routine was, mine is every other day i clean the skimmer collection cup and tube. then once a week i blow off lr, then try and net the big stuff, then siphon out what collects in the front,then do a 15 gal water change..

I just posted my routine on another thread.(LOL) Here it is again...

Daily

Clean skimmer neck and collection cup

Clean or rotate pre-filter sponge in Cpr overflow

Top off

Every 3 days

Clean pre-filter for my aqualifter

Weekly

Shut off all pumps, blow off rocks with a powerhead, run a polishing cartridge in a H.O.T magnum cannister for about 1 hour to catch free floating detritus, while I siphon the bottom and change out 15 gallons of water (in my 75 gal)

Vacuum my sump with the attachment for the H.O.T magnum

Every 3 weeks

Change carbon

Clean pumps/powerheads (I also don't use any of the pre-filter sponges on any either)

Every 2 months

Change phosban media:)

Cleaning Routines

Wow, you run a tight ship... Once a week I change five gallons, clean the skimmer cup, check parameters and clean the glass. Top of is constant via a Kent Aqua Dose with RO. I add B-Ionic when Cal. levels drop below 400.

Wow, you run a tight ship

Yeah, I have a mental problem(LOL) I wouldn't post the in betweens like tonight for the hell of it, I strained (2) 5 gal buckets of water through something like a filter sock and just poured the water back in and discarded what ever crap the net thingy caught:D

I watch the living room tank when I work and do homework.

I watch the bedroom tanks when I'm falling asleep.

I add top off water to a tank when the sump/fuge gets low, generally about every month to 2 months.

Every few days or maybe once a week, but rarely longer than 2 weeks, I WAY over feed the tanks to make sure lots of food settles on the bottom and in the fuge.

When somebody wants cheato, or when I want to get some more store credit at local fish stores, I harvest it.

I add top off water to a tank when the sump/fuge gets low, generally about every month to 2 months.

Luke what size sump do you have? I have to top off twice a day and I'm just curious how you can go so long (4-8 weeks) without having to add any water due to evaporation etc...Thanks

I did almost the same as Krish (minus the sump) until 2 days ago when my canister filter burned up and my skimmer started leaking. I have a friend holding my corals and I am watching my numbers closely since I only have a H.O.T. Magnum running my tank. In the meantime I am working frantically on my new system. This means I get to spend a couple hours a day working on things.

I clean the skimmer (Remora) cup when it's full (maybe once/week).

Top off is via reservoir->kalk reactor->float valve. I sink the float for about 10 seconds, once per day, to clear any kalk build up in the lines and valve.

14% water change every week. When I do this, I use a turkey baster to blow out all the crevices and holes in the rocks. I also use the turkey baster right into the sand to stir up the top inch, or so. Then the water change.

I run an AquaClear 70 with mechanical media (filter sock-like, actually Wal-Mart batting that I cut to size) and carbon. I change the carbon every 2-3 weeks, but rinse it every week. I replace the filter material every week.

Maybe every other month, or so, I drop the Seio 620 pumps into a bucket filled with 4 parts water, 1 part muriatic acid. This is much more effective than vinegar. It cleans out all the calcium buildup, and the pumps look like brand new when I put them back in. The pump intake grates are where the only algae grows, bubble algae. The muriatic acid takes care of that without issue.

I also clean up the float valve in this acid every other month, or so. When I'm bored enough, I'll also plop the heater (Ebo Jager glass) in the acid for a couple minutes to clean off the coralline.

Oh! The skimmer. I run the skimmer pump in acid every month or two, also. I notice when I do, production goes way up, as the pump becomes more efficient. And I clean out the injector nozzle about monthly, with the provided bottle brush.

I did almost the same as Krish (minus the sump) until 2 days ago when my canister filter burned up and my skimmer started leaking

Did you run your canister all the time? I just run mine when I clean and then take it off:)

On a 27 gallon tank....

~5 gallons of water changed weekly
~1/2 cup of carbon changed every 2-3 weeks
~scrape inside of acrylic tank every 2 weeks
~feed 2-3x daily.....top off daily....
~check salinity each week
~test calc/alk monthly

- Ilham

their has to be a better way, after blowing off the lr, i still cant remove all the stuff. before it settles back on the rocks, i could stand their all day and not get it all...need to invest in power heads and place them so they blow on the rocks all the time...i still cant beleve that their is no end to the amount of stuff that i remove each week...on the 12th it will be two months scence i went bb, maybe the rocks are still sheading heavier than normal....any thoughts?

their has to be a better way, after blowing off the lr, i still cant remove all the stuff. before it settles back on the rocks, i could stand their all day and not get it all...need to invest in power heads and place them so they blow on the rocks all the time...i still cant beleve that their is no end to the amount of stuff that i remove each week...on the 12th it will be two months scence i went bb, maybe the rocks are still sheading heavier than normal....any thoughts?

It will eventually (or should eventually) stop shedding so much. My last water change was the best so far. When I blew off the rocks, hardly anything came off which I'm sure is due to the placement of my flow and the new setup all together. I'm going to play with it a bit more today because now I know where isn't getting enough flow (or strong enough) so my testing will determine if i'll add another PH in there.

Well, here goes!
20 gallon water changes 2 times a week.
Blow the rocks off 1 time a month.
Harvest refuge 1 time a month.
Clean skimmer 1-2 times a week.
Test alk-Ca once a week.
Scrape inside of glass when the tangs can't keep up.
Anything else I forgot???????????????????????:D

Ok here's mine.

Sunday: 40g water change, shop vac sump, clean skimmer, test parameters
Monday: Change 1/2c carbon and add 2tbls rowa
Tuesday: 40g waterchange
Wednesday: Rock blast with tunze 6000 and filter sock
Thursday: Change 1/2c carbon and clean skimmer
Friday: 40 g waterchange and rock blast tunze 6000 and filter sock
Saturday: Overfeed

Don

DonW said:
Ok here's mine.

Sunday: 40g water change, shop vac sump, clean skimmer, test parameters
Monday: Change 1/2c carbon and add 2tbls rowa
Tuesday: 40g waterchange
Wednesday: Rock blast with tunze 6000 and filter sock
Thursday: Change 1/2c carbon and clean skimmer
Friday: 40 g waterchange and rock blast tunze 6000 and filter sock
Saturday: Overfeed

Don

That's what I like to see, another guy that goes thru a ton of salt. Somebody has to keep IO in business!!!!!!!!!!!!:D :D :D

ok here is mine :) .

for my 37 gal
-3 and when i'm feeling to exited 4 gals of water change :D (i'm still trying to save some water for the other reefers Krish :D)
-clean my powerheads
-brush my rocks
- turkey baste them
- clean skimmer cup
-siphon whatever yucky stuff is on the little sand i have
- i add 1 teaspoon of ph buffer after the water change
- every 2 days i believe i add 1 gal or 2 of RO/Di water to my wanna be sump :p and i still manage to have algae (what a heart breaker.. but i will get to you algae )

Last edited:
Don...I can't believe you change 120 gal of water per week!(LOL) That's un-real...You wouldn't do that if you lived here. We pay about $1 per gallon for IO here. So 120 gal of salt mix would run you about $120. Then there is the ro/di water that is about $4.00 per 5 gal or if I get it from the plant from my friend ($2.50) Not worth the drive so 120 gal of water is about $96.00 so if you lived here you'd be paying about $216 a week to do what you are doing!(LOL)

Gabby, how often do you change your toothbrush:)

hmm i guess every 6 months after i finish using it for my mouth :p

Actually i believe i've been using one of them for a longer time but i don't remember, i do wash them after i'm done using them.

Last edited:
hmm i guess every 6 months after i finish using it for my mouth

Actually i believe i've been using one of them for a longer time but i don't remember, i do wash them after i'm done using them.

LOL...I do it the other way. I scrub the rocks for a few months and then when it's time to change it, I get a new one for the tank and use the old one for my mouth:lol:

Back