Closed loop

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Myteemouse

NOTHING
I think I want a closed loop in my new DT instead of power heads!
The problem is now I don't know how to design one???
the dimms are gonna be 60"x24"widex20"tall with a coast to coast overflow on one 24" end! This is a pininsula tank so no sides can be drilled except behind the overflow and the bottom!!
Someone please help!
I should be aiming for a circular flow right?? I dont care howmany bulkheads and pipes I need but I want to grow everything !! (not SPS prolly but I want the option)
I would like the inlets to be behind the coast to coast overflow so I dont have them on the bottom incase of a leak!! I don't want 125 gallons on my floor if I can at all help it!!

A closed loop is just that..... a closed system independant of your overflow. The outlet to the loop has to be able to sustain the flow of the pump, and many opt for two outlets simply to make that easier/cut the suction of just one (in case it gets blocked). If these outlets are truly part of a closed loop, they will not drain when the poser is off.

The returns size is a different story- just remember that decreasing the size of outlets increases velocity and decreases volume. There was a great book published YEARS ago regarding aquarium plumbing... Pablo Escobar?

D

I got that much I need help on location and direction of the outlets for maximum velocity and random flow for corals!

Maximum velocity would be acheived with the largest pressure pump feasible.... and tremendously dependant upon not just your aquascaping but how your corals "grow in". Random flow may be fairly easily achieved with Seaswirls, Wavy-sea's (WS), or Ocean Motion (OM)devices. The manuf. of the OM is a proponent of a horizontal barrel shaped water movement. The WS and Seaswirl gang let you figure out what you want, and have the benefit of relocation after coral growth.

What works best? It depends upon YOUR wants and desires, and which animals you wish to keep.
D

Thats not what I wanted to hear?!?!?
Now I'mgonna grow mainly softies and LPS
three big fish and a few small ones too!
I do like the ones I can move later!
So the tanks I see with permanent outlets out the bottom is not any good for what I want!
I could runn all from the hood like the OM and the WS/seaswirls!
I just don;t want to have to keep drilling holes in the top of my new acrylic tank after coral growth??

Well for the wavy seas and sea swirl they clamp onto the rim of the tank so you don't have to drill holes in them.

Why not do it simple, two suctions for the pump intake & 4 of the 3/4" outlets for your flow, use a sea swirl for the outlet return from your sump. If you want more random flow then you will need to go farther & add something like an OM or MBV but then your getting into more cost! Another idea is to go with a CL & add something like a vortex or tunze on a controller to mix it up. For a softie & LPS I'd do the simple CL & add to it later if necessary, should be easy enough to do.
Look in the member showcase forum & i did a CL with the MBV.
http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14793

I love the MBV!!!
could some one post a link to a good CL for bottom tank install (gonna be a pinninsula tank!)Or a good one from the top with out a bunch of holes in the bottom! only one for suction!

Another idea (if your going to have a sand bed), could also be to have like 2 returns from the bottom and just run the plumbing under the sand bed. Then add a couple from the top, and I think it would be plenty depending on the aquascaping.

Good luck

-augustus

Thanks scooter
Thats what I needed to show the wife!!!
Now is that MBV really a SCWD on steroides (i tried the search and me and that thing don't get along)

If you look at the first thread I posted, it was to my tank build, the MBV is a real ball valve that has an actuator on top of it to electrically switch it from one port to the next. It isn't the easies thing to do, also not cheap & had issues I posted but once running it was awesome. Another thread the Oceans Motion was used with a lot more ease to install, so I'd consider that probably over the MBV If I had to do it again, either way has issues to deal with & both cost. See If I can find more links.

Well Now I need to know wher I should put the outputs in the tank!
I'm open for drilling. Actually Jason wil prolly drill it for me.

You would want some far left & right, front & back & a few in the middle & from there just Tee off with Loc-lines!

Your going in from the bottom right?

yes from the bottom the tank measures 24inches wide and 4'6" long not counting the coast to coast overflow on one end.
20" tall
The retun from the sump will be dual splitting lockline comeing out of the coast to coast overflow

Spread them out as much as you can to get most coverage you should be fine on a smaller tank like that!

Back