Closed Loop

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Awww, you're just a quitter Saltyfish. My popcorn wasn't even finished yet and you already throw in the towel? Pfffft. I was just starting to have fun here!

And thanks everyone for the entertainment LOL
And to everyone for the useful info I will keep in mind.
And you too Paul.

For those of you who are lazy or link-clicking impaired but still curious:

Advertised flow rates for Sea Flo MaxiJet mod products:
Sea-Flo 1200
For use only with a Maxi-Jet 1200 pump.
Increases flow to approximately 1200-1400 gph.
Power consumption after installation approximately 14 watts.

Sea-Flo 900
For use only with a Maxi-Jet 900 pump.
Increases flow to approximately 1000-1200 gph.
Power consumption after installation approximately 6 watts.

Sea-Flo 600
For use only with a Maxi-Jet 600 pump.
Increases flow to approximately 800-1000 gph.
Power consumption after installation approximately 5 watts.

Actual flow rates tested at discharge (using a specific formula) for each pump by Advanced Aquarist magazine:

modded MJ1200 - 1159gph
modded MJ900 - 763gph
modded MJ600 - 666gph

A bit of a discrepancy, but not quite half the "rated" flow. Still, it's close enough for me to consider Paul to be correct in at least this example of advertised flow rates and want to test further into my Koralia pumps. On the other hand, as I said before, even if the same holds true and they only pump 1/2 the "rated" GPH, I'm still happy with them :) I look at all this as just something else to learn and take into account in the future!

I got it bookmarked, thanx for the info.

Awww, you're just a quitter Saltyfish. My popcorn wasn't even finished yet and you already throw in the towel? Pfffft. I was just starting to have fun here!
It was just getting fun HUH?
I like the info on the " OUTPUT" to "FLOW" .. I would have never even thought to look at the boxes or info on the difference.

I like that these guys are emotional about it, shows passion..and dedication and shows who's done there homework..

We also discussed why 10x turnover to the sump was excessive.
Why my handicap could be lower if I used different golf balls.
How to make a squirrel proof bird feeder.

Any comments :)

If nothing else, it does even out the playing field a bit more for the flow VS energy savings argument in the "closed loop or powerheads?" argument. When I was first doing the math based on advertised ratings / numbers, the powerheads were a clear-cut and obvious winner. Now, with this info that Paul shared and the article I found to reinforce it, hopefully it will allow people to make a better educated choice in the future when planning a new system or upgrade. In my mind and for my project I'd still rather have large powerheads in my tank instead of a closed loop (if I had to choose between one or the other), but it's not so much because of the GPH ratings VS cost or energy consumption data anymore. Thanks for sharing that info with us Paul, and for sticking around!

For those of you who are lazy or link-clicking impaired but still curious:

Advertised flow rates for Sea Flo MaxiJet mod products:
Sea-Flo 1200
For use only with a Maxi-Jet 1200 pump.
Increases flow to approximately 1200-1400 gph.
Power consumption after installation approximately 14 watts.

Sea-Flo 900
For use only with a Maxi-Jet 900 pump.
Increases flow to approximately 1000-1200 gph.
Power consumption after installation approximately 6 watts.

Sea-Flo 600
For use only with a Maxi-Jet 600 pump.
Increases flow to approximately 800-1000 gph.
Power consumption after installation approximately 5 watts.

Actual flow rates tested at discharge (using a specific formula) for each pump by Advanced Aquarist magazine:

modded MJ1200 - 1159gph
modded MJ900 - 763gph
modded MJ600 - 666gph

A bit of a discrepancy, but not quite half the "rated" flow. Still, it's close enough for me to consider Paul to be correct in at least this example of advertised flow rates and want to test further into my Koralia pumps. On the other hand, as I said before, even if the same holds true and they only pump 1/2 the "rated" GPH, I'm still happy with them :) I look at all this as just something else to learn and take into account in the future!

But you even said it yourself a maxjet is PUMP based with an impeller not a prop-based powerhead. so this information does not hold water to what we are comparing here.

prop-based powerheads are based on flow through put not just the output.

Quit making the same mistakes we are trying to avoid. Oh God my head hurts bad now. 1 step forward 2 steps back!............

I know how to make a combo bird, cat feeder. LOL
Hang it one foot from the ground.

But you even said it yourself a maxjet is PUMP based with an impeller not a prop-based powerhead. so this information does not hold water to what we are comparing here.

prop-based powerheads are based on flow through put not just the output.

Quit making the same mistakes we are trying to avoid. Oh God my head hurts bad now. 1 step forward 2 steps back!............
Take a deep breath before you have an aneurysm

Don't make me drive over there and hold the laptop up to your nose Saltyfish :) The link I posted was a propeller modification rating test VS the stock MaxiJet pumps. The ratings I pulled out and posted were for the prop-modded MaxiJets specifically and show that the rated GPH is much higher than what the actual tested GPH at the discharge is. Read the article (or at least the snippet I posted) before you go off the deep end and have a mental breakdown, I was agreeing with you and providing some impartial evidence to support the info Paul was sharing. You goober :lol:

I think what he's saying is a stock MJ is a impeller style measured in OUTPUT and the mod changes it to a prop stlye measured in FLOW??
Am I right James.
But yes NSA they are not what they advertise..

Hey how about those balls? lol

If you are running more then 2 to 3 times turnover of the rating of your skimmer through your sump without recirculating it you are wasting energy and your skimmer is almost worthless.

Oh yeah Michael Jackson is not dead, he was spotted at a Buick dealership with Elvis yesterday

I bought my new pickup from someone who I could have sworn was Elvis. I didn't see Michael Jackson anywhere, but he was probably one of those shifty characters in the finance office.

Hey how about those balls? lol

If you are running more then 2 to 3 times turnover of the rating of your skimmer through your sump without recirculating it you are wasting energy and your skimmer is almost worthless.

Oh yeah Michael Jackson is not dead, he was spotted at a Buick dealership with Elvis yesterday

Is that if your skimmer is an in sump skimmer James?

Did you know a goober is actually a peanut????

Back