Cloudy Tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

fatjusto

Hey all,
I have just woken up this morning and my tank water is all cloudy! Looking closer at my sps and there polyps are all retracted which on some of them is unusual. My water parameters are all normal pH Alk Cal ORP. What could this possibly be? My fish are swimming around and look really happy.

I have a refugium with c.racemosa in it could it be this "going sexual"? does this happen during its lighted hours because its on a reverse timer to tank? If this is it what are the ramifications?

If the caulerpa hasn't gone "sexual" you could be experiencing a bacterial bloom which makes the tank look cloudy. Have you changed anything lately with the tank that could have affected the bacterial colonies?? Other than that, I've heard that most caulerpa needs lighting 24/7 to prevent it from going "sexual" and by having it on a reverse photoperiod, it could quite be possible...Hope you get things sorted out:)

Well its sorted itself out during the day whilst I was at work. Interesting what you say about the baterial thing krish I did happen to go diving the day before and picked up a couple of loose frags which looked fairly ordinary but i thought I could save them, one was bleached white this morning...... Maybe this has something to do with it, i just thought it wouldnt be cause they were only small. I guess it shows how careful you have to be.

thanks everyone for you replies

If it is a bacterial bloom, what Curt (curtswearing) had me do was increase surface aggitation alot to increase the oxygen level and limit the light some (if I remember correctly). I was surprised at how quickly it helped:)

Back