cloudy water

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

rcw98022

I woke up this morning and the tank looked a little couldy. when i came home from the store it was to the point where i coulnt see more than a few inches in the tank its 12 gallon nano.
salintity 1.025
ph 7.8
nitrate 40 ppm
nitrite 2.0 ppm
ammonia 0 ppm
water temp 79
I dont have a skimmer on the tank and change water weekly nitrate and nitrite tests are undetectable and ph is never below 8.0 could this be some sort of spawning? Im making some water to change it right now.

nitrate 40 ppm
nitrite 2.0 ppm
ammonia 0 ppm

You either had something die or a die off of bacteria. That looks like you had a spike in ammonia. Hence the reason why your trites are 2 and your trates are 40. Being that it's only a 12g tank, if you had a good sized snail die, it could cause this. It could also be caused by algae dying all of a sudden. Something spawning isn't going to cloud your water like that. Basically, do a good sized water change even up to 50% to get the trites down. Test tomorrow morning and if need be, do another.

did you smell the water? I know it seems a little odd, but I smell my water daily. Usually can tell if it needs attention. The cloudyness in those pictures looks more like spawning than anything.
It has been several days since your posting. It would be a help for someone else in the future if you would repost explaining what actions you took and were you are at now.

Thanks

WC's will do more to make up the difference of not having a skimmer. Make them bigger until you get you nitrite & nitrates down & the tank looking cleaner, just make sure your salinity & temp is the same.

Back