ClownFish Developement step by step

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

What do you think is the best food for marine fry?

• Zooplex

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Rotifers

Votes: 10 83.3%
  • Infusoria

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sera micron fry food

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters
The damage assesment for my clowns are as follows:
-Water changes intensified
-different fod, rotifers won't pollute water, therefore lessening the changes needed because use of zooplex
-SKIMMER NEEDED
Anyone know why the developement is behind? They seem to grow slowly..............

FWIW, I dont use a skimmer until my fry are into a 40 breeder tank with 2-500 babies. They get their first sponge filter (in a 5 gal tank) at about 14 days (5-10) AFTER metamorphosis. For the first few days I only keep about 1 gallon of water in my larval tanks for the first few days while feeding rotifers.. By day 7 I am keeping about 3-4 gallons of water while feeding live baby brine.. at about day 10-14, I start to offer a special frozen food :D, but I do it slowly..and at this time I add a sponge filter, and up until that day, I do nearly 100% water changes which is the reason I use a minimal amount of water.

While going through meta, the clowns need a lot of HUFFAs and thats where the freshly hatched baby brine comes in. They must be freshly hatched though, so you'll need to siphon all of the old brine from the prevous feeding before adding new baby brine to the grow out tank. Once they are all weened to baby brine, you'll need a food that is high in protein and HUFFAs.

Keep up the good work and good luck to the future hatches!

Hey, when I see you next month I will bring a list of stuff with me so I can get it down and working. I may also try Pajama Cardinals... Well I will try cardinals.

FWIW, I dont use a skimmer until my fry are into a 40 breeder tank with 2-500 babies. They get their first sponge filter (in a 5 gal tank) at about 14 days (5-10) AFTER metamorphosis. For the first few days I only keep about 1 gallon of water in my larval tanks for the first few days while feeding rotifers.. By day 7 I am keeping about 3-4 gallons of water while feeding live baby brine.. at about day 10-14, I start to offer a special frozen food :D, but I do it slowly..and at this time I add a sponge filter, and up until that day, I do nearly 100% water changes which is the reason I use a minimal amount of water.

While going through meta, the clowns need a lot of HUFFAs and thats where the freshly hatched baby brine comes in. They must be freshly hatched though, so you'll need to siphon all of the old brine from the prevous feeding before adding new baby brine to the grow out tank. Once they are all weened to baby brine, you'll need a food that is high in protein and HUFFAs.

Keep up the good work and good luck to the future hatches!

This is a good read. I love it.

You do not need a skimmer for baby clowns until...well there are too many and start to create lots of poop ;)

Clarkiis are actually one of the harder species to breed, as they have a hard time going through metamorphosis. As Rod mentioned, HUFAs, and high quality foods. It is not the amount of food they eat, it is what quality of foods they are eating. This will help them through metamorphosis, although I have had much better results with Ocellaris, even when both batches are similar in size. There is something with the "Clarkii" family in general.

Best,
Ilham

Do you keep the babies in the same tank as the parents when born and being raised? Or did you remove them and place them in their own smaller tank- ?

Keys to sucessful breeding of any fish is live food. Also you need to house the babies seperate from the parents. And don't get discouraged, try try again. And as for the skimmer IMO I would not as you may have babies get sucked up into the skimmer and perish, hence the reasoning for a filter with a foam pad on the intake.

Back