Clownfish Jumper :(

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mammut

AKA The other Brad
Lost my first fish today..:(

Had a 3 inch false perc in my 58 gallon and when I came home she was no where to be seen. I checked around and found her behind the tank. He must have jumped right after I left this morning. She was pairing up with one of uwscotch's little babies.

So the question is are false percs typically jumpers?

I have a t5 tek light fixture with the legs that hold the fixture about 4 inches off the water and no other obstructions. Guess I might have to go the eggcrate route.

Last edited:
so might i sugest buying that white plastic eggcrate ($11 @ lowes) to put on top of your tank you can come over to my house and see how I,ve got it on mine and see how the light still goes thru it. ( and pick up that anthelia if you still want it ) :) paul

Sorry about the loss. I have lost some fish that way but have saved one a adult purple tang. My tank is mabe a foot from my bed and he jumped into my girlfriends lap while she was asleep i don't who was more scared her the fish or me. The eggcrate works good.
I think any fish can be a jumper.

he jumped into my girlfriends lap while she was asleep

OMG! I shouldn't laugh at that, because if I wasn't into Reef tanks and that happened to me I would have been very upset. Were you more worried about the fish (checking it after back in the tank), or your girlfriend (consoling her after that awakening)? :lol:

mammut - sorry about your fish loss. My black onyx true percs have both taken a turn living in the overflow box (in fact just yesterday one was in there).

Can someone show a pic of the eggcrate cover?

Mammut, sorry about your losses =( Did this happen in the day? Ive heard that if a fish scares at night they may just not know where they are going.

-Jidz

Yeah, happened sometime yesterday morning I figure by how dried up he was. Was in there when I left at about 9:30 AM and I got a call from my roomate saying he couldnt find him about 7.

NaH2o
Don't remember exactly what happened it went pretty fast, but the first words out of my mouth were "why didn't you put it back in the tank?" not the best thing to say at the time. Yes I did check on the fish first. She is in to reef tanks too, she has her own. But she still didn't like the wake up call from the tang.Patrick

Jiddy, here is a pic of the eggcrate i use. This also shows that the tang didn't have to jump far.

Last edited:
While my False Perc has never jumped out it does splach the surface of the water often. The Scissor Tail Goby on the other hand has jumped out 3 times, was been played with by the cat the first time and have vacationed in my HOB once as well which is not as long as the fish is. I think some fish just have a death wish. Sorry yours suceeded in its attempt at fishacide.

Also not only clowns do this. I read somewhere some time ago about when the tank lights are out and the room is dark or it may have a small light on some where, that the fish are swimming into the light and may think it is moon light of some kind.

I have never had an issue because I have a close hood with moon lights.
Just something I read so take for what it is worth.

Really sorry to hear about that. I would of expected the smaller one to be chased out if anything. I know longer keep my grow-out tanks filled to the top due to suicides/mad dashes away from the bullies. When I have some larger ones ready to go, you are welcome to one.

Best

Aaron

Jiddy - Lowes or Home Depot in the lighting section should have it.

Back