Clowninaround's Deep Dimension 300

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Clowninaround

Alrite so I already have a 280 acrylic tank in wall an wanted to build another 300 gallon system. So i shopped around for tanks for month . My first choice was go glass or acrylic again. once i figured glass, I priced out having a custom tank built vrs store bought. I have always liked Marineland tank so i went with the Marineland 300 deep dimension 72x36x27. Found a really good deal that i couldnt pass up on a brand new tank an Reef Octopus Xp 5000 ext cone skimmer. For lighting i will build onto my current d.i.y led light fixture thats over my 280. Use 2 mp40s for flow an build a custom M&G's sump + tons more stuff to come along the way as i build. But ill post some pics of where i am now with everything!
SU1BRzAzNDguanBn.jpg

SU1BRzAzNDcuanBn.jpg

I love the deep dimension tanks. I have the 250. I am interested in how you plan to lay out the diy led as that is my next project.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Right now i have 72 cree 3 watt blues 36 cree whites 36 cree xpg's running over my 280 the xpgs only come on around 12 at a slow ramp up an then ramp down an are off by 4. Im only running my blues at 52% whites 35% an xpg 15% as of right now. I plan to pretty much double what i have now an get rid of the xpgs an put in some green an red 3 watts instead. If you notice my led systems are about the same as Guerry's setups on the Diy section on here.
SU1BRzAyMDMuanBn.jpg

SU1BRzAxMzguanBn.jpg

The only thing I dont like about tanks that large is the small overflow setup, IMHO my first mod would be to make it coast to coast, you would get such a better draw off the top of the water column.

Mike

I agree with you there on the overflows it has always blown me away how small they make the overflows an drill holes. They use the same setups on all their tanks. Guess they are not into reef keepin just makin tanks ha

Its an easy mod to create one, all you would have to do is to create a trough that connects the two inplace overflow towers.

Mojo

Love that you're going to have 36" front to back. My first tank I made the uninformed decision to buy a 125 that was only 18" front to back. Never again. Looking forward to seeing you build this.

Mike

Heres kind of a crappy picture but if you look hard enough you can see the two end overflows and then the trough that connects them, it doesnt have to be deep, just enough to go into the water and then create the teeth,

DSCN0842.JPG

Love that you're going to have 36" front to back. My first tank I made the uninformed decision to buy a 125 that was only 18" front to back. Never again. Looking forward to seeing you build this.

Mike
THat what im most excited for i have a 280 that is 30 front to back but the 6 inchs im gonna gain is going to be nice now i can lay out my brains an clams scollies out in the sand bed nice

On my 180 I built my coast to coast so that it's 3" square. I built it using 1/4" black acrylic and with the tanks black background it's practically invisible. The only thing I'd change if I had to do it over again is I would put teeth in the vertical piece. I've rescued two of my fish from the sump after they rode the overflow waterfall, the blue tang did it three times.

Mike

that overflow will be easy to make, I'll call and get us a price on a sheet of black

Tagging along! Looks like it will be a nice build!! I also agree with Mojo on the coast to coast. I even had one on a 38 gal cube. Makes the world of difference with surface skimming. :)

Alrite well this past weekend me an Guerry started on my stand. I think i drew up plans 100+ ways . My main problem was the stand had to fit through a 36" door. I dont like my tanks to sit low so i decided to build the stand into 2 parts. Part one 32" stand an part 2 8" base which is also be a couple inchs wider to break up stand from base . the stand will slide an lock into base once in the house an be screwed together making the total height of stand will be 40". I built the stand out of 3/4 oak & 3/4 BC plywood for inner shell. So the stand is double lambed glued an srewed. Should start triming it out next weekend an start on doors . Plan to do a rasied panel door.
First truck load of wood to get started
SU1BRzAzNTUuanBn.jpg

SU1BRzAzNTQuanBn.jpg

BC Shell
SU1BRzAzNTMuanBn.jpg

Started putting the Oak on it.
SU1BRzAzNTcuanBn.jpg

hey guys this is going to be one bad to the bone setup when complete. Has anyone heard of Reef Wars yet?

hey guys this is going to be one bad to the bone setup when complete. Has anyone heard of Reef Wars yet?

We had one going earlier but it was a much smaller scale and it was more of a race between three of us as to who was going to have a running system first. This looks like it will be a great build and can;t wait to see how it comes out.

It was a great race. I love starting last and winning!!!!!

Clownin. I'm tagging along. I am also a DIY'er. I like to see how other builders think differently.
Why did you choose Oak?

Back