CO2 Scrubber?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Taqpol

While browsing around I found a link to a group called MCU Research that markets a "CO2 Scrubber" for reef tanks. I have a direct link to their product here.

In principal it seems really, really cool as I have some low pH problems due to increased household CO2. I also can't open the windows for a majority of the year (burning hot summers AND freezing cold winters), and since I rent my apartment I can't really make the proper modifications to run my skimmers air intake outside.

First of all, does anyone think their product will work? If piping the skimmer outside is enough to raise pH then it seems to me chemically reducing CO2 levels at the intake would be just as good, I was just wondering about the efficiency of a "passive" system using this chemical.

Secondly, their product is expensive and from the look of it would be a really easy DIY if I knew what type of chemical they used in the reusable media cartridge. I know that CO2 scrubbers used on spaceships/submarines use Lithium Hydroxide, but in one review I found someone that I assume is involved with the company said they do not use Lithium Hydroxide. Do any of the chemistry gurus here know what type of chemical media can remove CO2 from the air?

I'll Tag along---But I think its proprietary--- Did they say patent pending for the media ??

I also agree at $30 a month (assuming you have a modern skimmer) for a minimal rise in PH financially it's to much.

With all my windows closed up my reef runs about 7.7-8.0 which makes me a little bit uncomfortable. Even a 0.2 increase would keep my pH close to or above 8.0 at all times.

After doing a bit more research i think the product might be Soda Lime, which you can buy from medical supply stores. I'd still like to here back from a chemistry guy on this, though.

Have you tried running a kalkwasser reactor 24/7.

Have you tried dripping the effluent right into a cup with an airstone in it.

Have you tried a second add on reaction chamber to your CA reactor .

Try these first :)

have you tried growing more cheato to use up the CO2? i get the daylight 100W replacement CFLs (26W) and made a super simple "fixture" with a cheap ceramic thing-gee that one can buy, a milk jug, some solar emergency blanket, and hot glue

Yes,
I at one point had a refegium and still had low ph even with a stronger bulb.
I eventually restarted my refegium and tweaked my reactors and added kalk and got up to 8.15 without the refegium doing much yet !

Low ph is why allot of people with Ca reactors run a kalkwasser reacator.

And the concern is --- at least for some--- that the corals are healthier and should grow faster and better in a higher ph (8.1-8.4) as low ph (our tanks can get constantly below 8.0 and I know I have read that should be O.K. But I don't think things THRIVE there as well.) is harming coarls in the oceans. At least that's what some articles I read stated.

Last edited:
Have you tried running a kalkwasser reactor 24/7.

Have you tried dripping the effluent right into a cup with an airstone in it.

Have you tried a second add on reaction chamber to your CA reactor .

Try these first :)

Funny thing about my calcium reactor, its all rigged up but i don't even have CO2 flowing through it. I got it together right before i went on a two week vacation and didn't want to risk a CO2 overdose, and since I got back a few days ago I haven't wanted to mess with it. When (or if) I bite the bullet I will be dripping the effluent into a cup that goes straight into my refugium.

Speaking of refugiums I do have one stocked with a healthy amount of growing chaeto and some type of a daylight spectrum CF light with reflector. It is lit in reverse cycle to my daylights and I still get a diurnal pH swing and lower then ideal pH during the day.

I do think a kalk reactor tied into my ATO would be perfect, I just didn't want to spend the 200-300 dollars on a nice one. I just contacted a friend of a friend who is really handy with acrylic and he might be able to build one for me for cheap. I could use a bit of an Alkalinity boost anyways...

I just recently added a kalk reactor to my right now 330g system soon to be 450-500g. At 1st I planned on hooking it up to my ATO then I thought it would dump too much kalk water into the system at one time. So I just rigged it up to drip 24/7. My system evaps about 4-5g a day and right now I think I have my kalk dripping about 3g every 24hrs still have to fine tune it . The ATO would take care of what the kalk hasn't topped off.

My tank used to run consistantly under 8.0 ph until I read here about running an airline to the outside to let the skimmer bring in fresh air... The tank is at a steady 8.2 to 8.3 now and the best part is it only cost me $3 at my local home improvement store and a 1/2 hole to the outside....

MACNA update for the CO2 scrubber. The media seems to get exhauster fairly quick like a week or two according to Jeremy. He may look for another media or try heating up teh media to see if the CO2 can be driven off and out of the media.

Back