cold live rock

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

travis_

Sea Cucumber
I got a good deal on some live rock, it was always under lights and until 36 hours ago heated in plenty of water. But he sold his tank 36 hours ago or so and put it in a smaller tank without heat. It sat in his cold house for 36 hours when I got it. I now have it under water, heat and circulation. The temp was 60 F when I got it.

The rock looks good and has plenty of life. Absolutely no smell. Very fresh. But cold. Is there any chance the critters will survive? Will I now need to cure it?

thanks,

Travis

Some of it probably survived, but a lot died off. Cure it for a month and you should be good. I believe somewhere around 60F is the lethal point for most tropical marine life.

Some of it probably survived, but a lot died off. Cure it for a month and you should be good. I believe somewhere around 60F is the lethal point for most tropical marine life.

The rock is up to temperature this morning and looks great, all sorts of life, I see brittle stars, worms, tiger pods (HUGE) and stuff. I am the impatient type, do you think there is any risk in putting some of this rock in my tank straight away? WHo wants to wait a month!!

Travis

I doubt you'll need to wait a month, however, you might be taking a risk adding it right now. The signs of life you're seeing are great!! I'd suggest giving it a couple of days and then testing the water it's in. Test for Ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. That may give you some indication of a cycle starting.

Continue to sniff the rock!!! LOL, I know it sounds funny, but is a pretty good indication of it's health.

I doubt you'll need to wait a month, however, you might be taking a risk adding it right now. The signs of life you're seeing are great!! I'd suggest giving it a couple of days and then testing the water it's in. Test for Ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. That may give you some indication of a cycle starting.

Continue to sniff the rock!!! LOL, I know it sounds funny, but is a pretty good indication of it's health.

thanks, I will do that. Plus I am a pretty good rock sniffer so I will keep on sniffing.

Anyone have any idea roughly how many pounds fill a 5 gallon bucket? I got 2 x 5 gallon buckets overfilled with rock for $100. I think I got a good deal. It felt like close to 100 lbs carrying it.

How much will fit in a bucket would be vary so much. For instance, if they were large pieces, you may only be able to fit 2 pieces in there. If it was very porous, those 2 pieces might only weigh 15 lb each. Say it was pretty solid rock, those 2 might weigh 25 lb each. If smaller rock, you could fit more in without having a lot of "space" between rocks.

If it's good quality rock, sounds like you got a great deal!!

How much will fit in a bucket would be vary so much. For instance, if they were large pieces, you may only be able to fit 2 pieces in there. If it was very porous, those 2 pieces might only weigh 15 lb each. Say it was pretty solid rock, those 2 might weigh 25 lb each. If smaller rock, you could fit more in without having a lot of "space" between rocks.

If it's good quality rock, sounds like you got a great deal!!

Yeah, it packed pretty good in the buckets. Medium sized intermixed with small pieces. I just checked on it again (my wife thinks I am crazy sitting in our unheated basement watching and sniffing rock) and I saw a large worm crusing around. I will test the water tonight and see how it is.

i tent to dissagree... I think you should wait as long as you can,

QT that rock give it time to establish itself, with out your hand,

set it up in a small tank with somewhat steady heat, flow and some sort of light,

even next to your display, (if you wanna steal some light) (lol from your self)

let it sit see what you got b4 you add it, you could be (maybe not this time, but you will be) sorry later for you impatientness now,

Waiting is ALWAYS best, if you can. I made the mistake in the past of adding a couple of small pieces of LR to my 120 without QT'ing first to see what was on it, and one of them had Zoo eating nudi's that nearly wiped out an entire colony in my tank.

Back