cold water reef pics

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

The rocks are from the Washington coast....and yes, everything has to be hand fed. I'm only trying to keep critters that can be fed cyclopese sized food or bigger.

Cold water Reef tanks

Steve I kow earlier you posted you keep the tank between 58-60 could you keep one of theses tanks at Like 65?
And for lighting are you just using T-5's or???? Thanks for sharing...Jeff

steveweast said:
The rocks are from the Washington coast....and yes, everything has to be hand fed. I'm only trying to keep critters that can be fed cyclopese sized food or bigger.

The temp depends on what you're keeping. My Australian critters would be OK in 65 (but, that's really a max that they naturally would see).....but, my Washington critters would think they were in Vegas.....so, 58 -60 is a happy medium for what I'm keeping.

Yes, I just a few T5s for my viewing pleasure.

steve,
what approximate location are you getting the WA critters from? Is that were you get the strawberry anemones? How big are those boxfish going to get? Hopefully not like a longhorn cowfish.
Isaac

The boxfish are near full grown now. They're about 6 or 7 inches.

Strawberry anemones are hard to find since they are best found in high flow areas. I've been looking in Puget Sound near Anacortes.

Beautiful tank, what a "cool" idea ;) Can't wait to see it come along! Keep us posted......

I see you got your strawberry rocks.They are really cool.The tank is outstanding.

agreed,

Im thinking about this now,

is it safe to say that a larger amount of the worlds oceans are cooler then warmer?

Here are a few that I have handy.....

ornate1.jpg

blueanemone.jpg

sunstar.jpg

featherstar.jpg

strawberrycloseup.jpg

coldtanks.jpg

corynactus.jpg

seahorse.jpg

redstar1.jpg

coldtank.jpg

who is ur contact in perth simon hawke from oceanreef marine aquariums

I've now had correspondence with several collectors throughout Southern Australia.....Simon is one of them....although, I haven't heard from him in many months. Do you know him ?

presonally he lives around the corner from me and he is the main lfs i deal with he has port jackson sharks atm and if u look at my thread 95% of the coral is from him that he has presonally collected i know where his collection spot is and where he collects locally are sum of the spots we dive

how much u pay for that 15 legged star fish because i see them every where in so many colour froms from blues and purples to green i have corals atm that are cold water thought u would be suprised that our tempreat waters do reach 23c i clocked it on my dive watch last weekend at a place call yanchep lagoon do u keep many nudibranchs? there a really nice lps coral favide sp. i belive thay range from blue to reds and bright greens currently i have 4 in my tropical tank a blue purple one and red one that was covered in sedment but is colouring up again and yellowy coloured one and a pink one i have all so seen a differnt box fish while diving differnt to urs i have sum of those anemes to is that white one a sticky tip cause i havent seen one that big before they are also very bad for eating fish, there are numers blennys hawk fish and wrasse that are incredible nice and a fish called the wester blue devil fish i dont know if u have one because sum of ur pics wouldnt show on my comp. they start of yellow with blue fringes and get very large maybe as big as a sailfin and are normally found in bug swim through i liek ur tanks but when u dive coldwater it dont look like ur tank there is lots of seagrass differnt kinds which are almost as nice at corals i love the oceans i get to dive in and feel i have alot of expierince with it in the wild 16 years of diving expirence up and down the west australian cost
sorry to ramble its just seeing australian stuff in usa that i see every time i dive is really trippy

steve,could you tell me what best tank temperature+- and lighting.thanks

Dang....

it really depends upon what you're trying to keep. Most of the critters in my tank come from Puget Sound where the best temp for critters is 50 F.... but, I also have a few Australian fish that would like to see temps around 60 F.....so, I split the difference....and keep the tank at 55 F. Lighting is irrelevant....most things are non photosynthetic.

Morgan....the sunflower star (Pycnopodia helianthoides) comes from Puget Sound......he's not Australian. In fact, other than the crinoid and a few fish, my stock comes from Puget Sound that I collect myself.

Back