Combisan and Trace Elements

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

pnikiel

I've heard great things about Combisan by Seachem. But then again I've heard that you shouldn't really worry about trace elements if you do regular water changes and treat with a good 2-part.

To date I run Kalk to top off. I use a 2-part. And I add some idodine (Lugol's) weekly. I haven't started to add too many corals yet. Going very slowly. Should I be adding anything else?

I've heard great things about Combisan by Seachem. But then again I've heard that you shouldn't really worry about trace elements if you do regular water changes and treat with a good 2-part.

There ya go!!! You're on the right track.

Don't buy Combisan. It is 99.9% water with a lot of Iron added.

http://www.reefs.org/library/article/combisan_analysis.html

This was an interesting conclusion in light of the work that Dr. Shimek and we had done on Two Little Fishies Combisan two years prior (Inland Reef and Ron Shimek 2001). In that case, the data printed on the bottle, from a very well-respected manufacturer, was found by Dr. Shimek to be completely unreliable. In the controversy that followed, Inland Reef conducted an independent analysis and confirmed Dr. Shimek's data, eventually resulting in the manufacturer removing the printed analysis from their bottle.

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache...ure1+combisan+shimek&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=3

So what about trace elements? Does the 2-part and water changes take care of it? Or is there some other product (not that I'm anxious to buy another product) that you use?

Most two-parters contain trace elements. Even if the didn't, the process of feeding your fish will supply most of them. What feeding doesn't accomplish can be taken care of with your next waterchange.

If you are dosing Iodine, make sure you own an Iodine test kit. An overdose can nuke your tank.

There are mixed views on the trace elements thing. I would say if you are lax in your water changes then adding might help things. If you do regular water changes with a good salt that has theproper trace elements you should be fine. The problem comes in because tere are a lot of trace elements you can not test for.

Back