compact fluorescents problem

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

MadReef

Hello,

Over the weekend I plugged my compact fluorescents into a 15 amp outdoor timer and come back 2 days later to find them off. I can't seem to get them back on at all. Has anyone ever run into this? I've only had them for a month, so I find it hard to believe that they are dead already. Is there usually a fuse in the external ballast?

Thanks for any help!!

Have you tried them without the timer?

My Electronic ballast has a fuse, you may also depending on the type. I'm sure if they are new you should be able to get them working again. Maybe post us more information, like brand ballast. These timers do go bad, there is a little switch inside, you can turn the lights on / off manually try this also.

The ballast brand is Hamilton and I've tried plugging it in the wall and other areas with no luck. I wonder if I'll have to take it apart to find the fuse location since I see no obvious cap.

I don't have a schematic but if you don't see it then I may be internal. I Would not open them, Instead, call the place where you go them & see what they tell you, I bet you may be in for a return.

I'm sure they will be good about it. They already replaced (or rather Hamilton did) my 10k 250watt HQI bulbs that were extremely yellow (even after break in). I was sent 2 14k's to replace them which was a huge inprovement!

Back