Cone Skimmer thread, up for Discussion!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

luke33

WOW, this thread got hijacked a dozen times since last night!

I haven't heard of any cone body coming out that you can just pop on a sicce. But this skimmer war is getting sillier by the minute so hard telling what happens next. I have heard that ER, BK and even ATI is going to step up to the cone's, but hard tellin.

I do know of a guy who purchased a supermarine to replace his atb med and he was totally disapointed and put his medium back online as it was pulling alot more skimmate. BK is just the big name imo, there's better out there at better prices.

WOW, this thread got hijacked a dozen times since last night!

I do know of a guy who purchased a supermarine to replace his atb med and he was totally disapointed and put his medium back online as it was pulling alot more skimmate. BK is just the big name imo, there's better out there at better prices.

totally agree on the BK, that's why i like ATB better...

btw, sorry SWC for totally hijacking...
fwiw, i am really glad that SWC has honya making cone skimmers...
and with the swc sicce, im sure it will be a great skimmer for anyone who buys it. im glad all these cones are hitting the market!! it's a good thing!!:)

Sorry about the hijack SWC, I just noticed this was in a sponsor forum:oops:.

It seems when skimmy and luke start talking skimmers many of us want to try to get some advice . . .

Sorry about the hijack SWC, I just noticed this was in a sponsor forum:oops:.

It seems when skimmy and luke start talking skimmers many of us want to try to get some advice . . .

I did not realize it was a sponsor forum either.
Sorry as well for my hijacking...

Matt

OOOOPs I did'nt realize that it was in the sponsor forum either SORRY:oops:. I thought it was Lukes thread LOL. Either way sorry for hijacking!!!

Give me an idea for a 400 gallon sps system?

Do they make cones that don't have to be in the sump?

Let's try to keep it under $900:D:D:D:D

Charlie....nothin like that around. Only external cone is the atb and i'm thinking for a 400g tank it'll run you 2k+

Nice job scooterman!

Charlie, what all do you have going on with your tank? What size, what you keep...etc.

Don't really have all that much going on........................., just looking around for a skimmer that doesn't have to be in-sump that may be a little cheaper to run than my dual beckett.

300 gallon sps, 100 gallon sump, 75 gallon refugium.

Your budget is 900bux? Well, only thing close is going to be the reeflo orca recirc wise. But the efficiency isn't going to be much better as they run at 125-150w. I'd pry go with a in sump myself as you can get more for your money and quite a bit cheaper. For a 475g system the best in sump is going to be a swc cone with dual sicce's. 70scfh of air at 42w as PW's. The octo pro 300 is pretty nice to but will be to small imo. WM has some nice recirc's as well. The das ex3 is a nice recirc but i believe is going to be pushing it for that size of tank. The ATB's are nice as well. Just pricey.

The only places i know of you can buy them from are

http://saltwaterconnection.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=36

http://www.shop.reeffiltration.com/product.sc?categoryId=2&productId=17

And i'm sure marinesolutionsinc.com is going to have them soon.

For a WM skimmer this would be your best bet.

http://www.aquacave.com/warner-marine-ar200-2-br-recirculating-protein-br-skimmer-2338.html

For Reeflo

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...&Product_Code=SQ-OCT-PK&Category_Code=reefflo

But i'd have to say the cone's will outperform the rest.

Thanx for your help Luke, I appreciate it. I will definitely look into somehow getting a skimmer with that footprint into the sump. I'd really like to see one of these in action one of these days, I have heard nothing but good things about this type of skimmer.

Charlie, I looked at those Orca skimmers for a while, they are quite impressive, but still draw more watts then other recirculating models. I gave up on trying to keep an external skimmer, the advantages of the in sump models just outweigh my need to have the skimmer external.

I am making plans for the K-1, from Warner Marine myself. I even downloaded google sketch up to make new sump plans. I have a few things in mind, 30 gallon sump, 15 gallon refugium, with a 10 gallon frag tank. If I can get this all together like I want, I will be able to use a smaller return pump as well.

I agree that Beckett skimmers are getting to be a Dinosaur, and we can increase performance and decrease cost to run, what more can you ask for?

You know, it isn't that my skimmer isn't performing well! It would be nice to have a new skimmer, that may not cost as much to run, and still perform as well or outskim my existing one.
What more would I want???????????????? A bigger budget.:D:D:D:D

LOL!!!

I know what you mean Charlie! I have the advantage right now of having several large COLONIES of SPS that I can frag and sell to other local reefers. I put up a for sale thread on a local board and have sold 3 frag packs in a couple days. I may start a thread on that really obscenely HUGE reef board as well, just to see what happens. If I can sell a few more, then that K-1 will be paid for by FRAGS!!! That makes it even better!

Oh... here is that thread if you are interested.

Back