Cone Skimmer thread, up for Discussion!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Very nice Poseidon! I may hit you up in the future for some of those frags if you don't mind.

So Mike, how large of a tank do you have? Any FTS's. Just curious what you plan on putting the K-1 up against.

Ask and ye shall see! The display is a standard 90, with a CPR overflow.

Full tank shot from September:
375893378_6rXR9-L.jpg

And my sump:
367078688_ecKdF-L.jpg

The K-1 will replace the MR-2 that you see on the left. I will also be redoing the entire sump area, I will reduce the volume of water down in the basement, and raise the water closer to the basement ceiling, so I can reduce size of my return pump. I'm thinking a 30-50 gallon tank for a sump, and a 15 gallon fuge. (I may add a 10 gallon tank for a frag rack....)

Very nice Mike, i'm sure the K-1 will kick some butt on that system. Awesome sps tank! Thanks for sharing.

So on the cone skimmers how accurate are the tank ratings? For example the medium ATB cone shows a rating of up to 480 gallons and the new SWC model this thread started from luke rated at up to 500 gallons. Does this mean I could really get sufficient skimming for my total water volume of 417 gallons in a SPS dominate tank, with a few tangs and a large angel that I like to feed well? Or should I look more at something that has a rating much higher than my tank volume?

Thanks,

Kris, the rating i put on an swc with two sicce's is for a moderately stocked 500g tank so it'll handle a 500g no prob.

You could throw on the mesh and the skimmer would go up in rating. As long as the pump's startup i don't see any probs with mesh. I personally would just run pw's for simplicity, but if i had the single sicce cone i would run mesh to get that extra air pull.

Back