Cone Skimmer thread, up for Discussion!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

NW doesn't pull as much air and doesn't chop the air as fine as a pw or meshwheel

NWimpeller.jpg

A pw chops the air up fine and pulls great air but not as much as a meshwheel. But never has startup probs.

100_2742.jpg

A meshwheel chops up the air the finest and pulls the most air but may have startup issues.

BM200Impeller3.jpg

That is PERFECT!!! Thanks Luke! I new that pin wheel and mesh wheel were different, but I had not seen a needlewheel impellat before.

The only places i know of you can buy them from are

http://saltwaterconnection.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=36

http://www.shop.reeffiltration.com/product.sc?categoryId=2&productId=17

And i'm sure marinesolutionsinc.com is going to have them soon.

For a WM skimmer this would be your best bet.

http://www.aquacave.com/warner-marine-ar200-2-br-recirculating-protein-br-skimmer-2338.html

For Reeflo

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...&Product_Code=SQ-OCT-PK&Category_Code=reefflo

But i'd have to say the cone's will outperform the rest.

Marine Solutions (www.MarineSolutionsInc.com) does have them listed on their site now. Smoking pricing too! They will be shipping them out this week too.

http://www.marinesolutionsinc.com/catalog/Protein-Skimmers-MSX-Cones/c22_71/index.html

Well, here's some pics. Its getting more and more broke in. At first it was pulling 50-55scfh. Its now at around 65scfh in 7" water pulling 64w (Thats in sump). The bubbles are moving up super smooth and all in the same direction. Its pretty amazing looking actually. It weighs almost 16lbs and is 1/4" thick acrylic. Everything on this guy is nice, the build quality is better or as nice as a BK. And my favorite part, only thing you can hear slightly is the air coming off the silencer. The pump is silent.

100_3374.jpg

100_3377.jpg

100_3386.jpg

100_3401.jpg

100_3403.jpg

100_3390.jpg

swc cone with dual sicce's. 70scfh of air at 42w as PW's
So, Luke33, skimerwisperer.
IN your opinion, how much will this thing out perform a BM250?

Is it worth taking the loss and upgrading to a newer skimmer?

So, Luke33, skimerwisperer.
IN your opinion, how much will this thing out perform a BM250?

Is it worth taking the loss and upgrading to a newer skimmer?

There not even comparable man. The BM is poorly designed imo. Its a bubble cannon. The design of any cone is superior in every way. The transition, the pump, the solid build.....etc. The only problem i have with the cone is that its to dang big to fit in my sump : () so i can't keep her which sux. A cone with a single sicce will outskim a bm250 imo.

There not even comparable man. The BM is poorly designed imo. Its a bubble cannon. The design of any cone is superior in every way. The transition, the pump, the solid build.....etc. The only problem i have with the cone is that its to dang big to fit in my sump : () so i can't keep her which sux. A cone with a single sicce will outskim a bm250 imo.

Darned you for saying such things!! My sump is plenty big so now I have to dream of a new skimmer.

This throws a new twist into my thoughts on a new skimmer...i was going to be so happy with the msx/swc extreme 250...so now what...250g of water volume needing to be skimmed...suggestions on what cone might fit my needs :)

what are the dimensions on the above skimmer?

Last edited:
while i agree the cone skimmers are superior, i cant say that they are so good that a single pump SWC cone is as good as a 2 pump SWC extreme/ATI bm 250. that's 1400 lph verses 2800lph air draw, with a smaller reaction chamber??
just because the cone's lack of reaction chamber area creates less back pressure on the pump, therefore allowing it to draw more air, i dont see how it will be equal to a cylinder skimmer that has double the air draw and bigger reaction chamber. i might put a 1400 lph meshed SWC cone up against a 1800 lph standard cylinder skimmer with similar design features, but that's about as far as i'll go... and that's based on my experience with ATB cones, which im guessing are better than SWC cones.
one thing i really would have liked to have seen in the SWC cone is a dedicated pump size and reaction chamber/neck diameter, instead of just willy nilly sharing the same skimmer body and neck for 3 different models with 3 different pumps, that seems like a comepletely lazy shortcut to me.
that's one of the things i like about the WM K series cones, each individual model will have their own sizes engineered to accomodate their pump power...a no brainer:idea:
and they have a model with dual askol 2000 pumps pulling 4500lph of air, 130 watts @ 42" high :)

Sure it can be comparable. I had a bk a month ago and this skimmer is every bit as nice in quality if not better. And don't kid yourself, hell the brushless dc motors they brag about come from china anyhow, just check alibaba.....

Another thing is you keep saying 1400lph air with the extreme's and ati. We both know thats pushing the sicce pump with mesh and there a serious pita to start with that much air. Legit air pull with mesh is going to be around 990lph and 1130lph. And with a pw your going to get 650-906lph air on a cylinder skimmer. On a cone your going to get 850-1000lph air.

The three different designs are all the same body for a few different reasons. The single pump design is going to work best with a meshmodded sicce and pulling 40scfh will be plenty on this body. You also have the ability to add another sicce on it too as there's a plug on the body. This means upgradable instead of having to buy the next model. The double sicce is one i would run pw's on and get 60-70scfh of air. The askoll model is one you can run internal or externally. It pulls 60-65scfh in sump and the pump is silent with never a startup prob. For the price there all good cone buys.

sicce psk 2500 start up issues are easy to get around once you know the tricks and are a worthy potential trade off for performance, imo.
although i can see how some noobs dont like to/cant mess with their pumps if they dont start up...not for people who dont want to get their hands wet.
although personally i seldom have start up issues with mesh mods that i do.
in general i find most people;
use too much enkamat,
dont adhere the mesh/zip ties in a balanced fashion to the impellar,
and improperly or under-trim the mesh
when they experience start up issues.

i do wish the mesh ATI uses was readily available in usa,
it has smaller strands and has a more chaotic pattern as opposed to the criss cross pattern of pf4a enkamat most readily used here.

as far as the SWC cone, dont get me wrong, it's a good looking skimmer, it can oviously perform good, no matter what size the pump is. but i still dont see how you can even come close to comparing the quality of a chinese made knock off skimmer to a german engineered, cnc milled, hand finished skimmer like BK, ATB or even chinese made w/american designed WM.
where's the innovation? where's the commitment to quality, and use of the finest components?
but i hate to sound like i am disparaging honya so much, they have their definate place in this hobby and provide some good skimmers at a great price for those who cant afford more.

A different manufacturer in china. There new line of extreme's and cone's are all of better quality with the new, better tooled man. I'm tellin ya, when you see the cone you'll be pleasantly surprised. They are just as quality as the BK's.

Back