Confess Your Sins

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Funny or nuts? I am told there is a possibility of both. At best it's a fine line :)
Lets see... I used cheapo halides on my reef tank and this isn't funny, the par is so low I should have stuck with PC. You get what you pay for and the savings is offset by replacing all your SPS. Not happy with that decision... Hopefully am getting used 10K XM bulbs at the next meeting... Still being cheap :) This is a lousy hobby for the unemployed.
Kate

krish75 said:
Gabby's from a Spanish speaking country...:)

Uhh......I was just kidding :razz: but now that you mention it my wife is from Panama which also happens to be a Spanish speaking country. I try and try to get her to teach me some cool Spanish swear words but in 15 years of marriage she is still "holding out" so to speak :badgrin:

hey that's awesome KRMNAL1 !!! i always get to exited when i meet latin american people :).

Funny or nuts? I am told there is a possibility of both. At best it's a fine line :)

well i don't know about the nuts part yet, but i think your funny :) and i hope you get your bulbs.

This is a bad one...

My first fish tank.
I found this 55gal I found on the side of the road with 1 pannel broken out. Being the sort of guy who loves to try to fix anything broken I see, I took it home, cut a new chunk of glass out of an old window, white ACRYLIC caulked it in, epoxyed in this section of roofing gutter to make a new center brace, and smuggled it into my door room which had a strict no pets, no fish policy. So, I sucker some buddies into makeing about 100 trips to the bathroom sink with 2L bottles, paper milk jugs etc to fill the tank. Once the tank was full, I headed straight to the pet store and asked the lady for the biggest baddest filter she had. She set me up with a fluval 403, and I still belive its the sole reason this tank worked at all.

So, I got some buddies to chip in, and I asked the lady what the most agressive fish she sold was, she set us up with 5 cichlids, and i bought a 3 dozen feeder fish at the same time to go with them (remember, i had never even heard of bio-cycles). So, we rush back, add everything to the tank, then worry about setting up the filter. It went together pretty easy, and I positioned the outlet on the side so the whole tank appeared quite similar to a giant whirl pool.

I had never even heard of water changes, and keep in mind, this tank was just bare, absoultely nothing but fish swirling in the tank. I had thought that substrate/decorations were only for looks...

So, by the end of the year, I had about 10 cichlids, 3 medium oscars, 5 beta (yes, all males) and assorted other things like eels, knifes etc.

This tank had only had top-offs its whole life, and was only fed live feeders, table scraps, and mt-dew. No heater, no lights, kept in the bottom area of a dorm dresser, no hideing places, and relentless constant current. Amazingly, it never actually never lost a fish for any reason other than fish on fish violance (I kept them a little hungry).

Anyways, so, at the end of the year, I fit all my fish into a milk jug with the top cut-off, and a few cut-up mt.dew bottles and take them back to the fish store. I opened the filter up for the first time that day before packing it up, and I discovered why I had thought i remembered the tank haveing a much stronger swirling effect when it was newer...

Poor little fish, I cant even imagine what the nitrates or water hardness was like in that tank.
I thought this confession of fish sins thread would be the only decent place possible to share this story... :D

well confession is good for the soul "livefor" and so you don't feel all alone. I'll tell my first tank story.

actually there is two.
my first, first tank was actually a bowl. Many moons ago when I was 12, standard fish bowl with two angel fish, no heater, no filter. What's a water change? Cycle????
they actually survived for quite awhile in those terrible conditions probably because I would forget to feed them most of the time.
Hey, I was 12

My second first tank was when I was...... well...... old enough too know better.
I bought a 10 gal. an oscar and a Pacu :eek: got home started reading on the internet about my new pets and discovered, holy cow that Pacu gets huge I need a bigger tank.:mad:

Many lessons learned;)

T

Back