Connecting Sumps

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

IAP Brian said:
It's been a very long time since I lived in Waukesha WI ( can't even remember how to spell it :lol: or what the name of the store was) but there was a really cool LFS there and the owner was a DIY guru along the lines of Mojo (if he is possible to replicate.) You should check it out if you're ever in that neck of the woods (not too far from Milwaukee). It was down town :lol: Waukesha, where all the one way streets change direction every six months.

Is it called Aquatic Emporium by chance. It is the only one I could find in downtown Waukesha. I would love to check it out.

MadReef Aquatics Unlimited is a nice store they are in greenfield though. It is worth a visit if you are in the area.

Brian

I'm looking forward to seeing Aquatic Emporium some day soon. I can never go to enough fish stores. I feel pretty lucky being in Madison. There are at least 5 different places with marine fish and corals.

Aquatic Specialties 4/5 stars (growing and getting better)
Living Art Aquarium 3/5 (new)
Jacks Aquarium 2/5
Petworld 2/5 (use to be very nice at one point...)
Animart 3/5

Aquatic Emporium sounds about right, but it has been 11 years since I lived in WI. I hope the store hasn't changed. It was a really cool place then.

Have you made any progress with the sump dilema?

I'm looking forward to seeing that place soon.

Last night I test fit everything together. I put beads of silicone around each side of the holes and in-between the boxes. I know this may be a pain to take apart, but I'd rather do leak checks before I cut out my old sump. Tonight I'm going to take it outside and fill it with water.

I still need to cut the rails (since I slide in my bubble traps) on my return box yet.

I finally put everything together last night for a leak test. There was only one bulk head that leaked slightly. I'm confident that adding more silicone will fix it. Here are some pics.

Thanks!

I read just about every page on Melev's Reef before I started. I'm sure his are far better quality than this one. I'm sure I'd get a bit better if i made more.

Thanks!

I read just about every page on Melev's Reef before I started. I'm sure his are far better quality than this one. I'm sure I'd get a bit better if i made more.

Looks great to me! Make sure post a photo of it all up and running:) No leaks though:p

I'm planning on installing it this weekend. I want to make sure I have a large block of time to do this. I may need to buy a sawsall to cut out my old sump! I'm not looking forward to that.

I'm planning on installing it this weekend. I want to make sure I have a large block of time to do this. I may need to buy a sawsall to cut out my old sump! I'm not looking forward to that.

Oh boy...Did you see what Matt did on his stand to make it easy to get your sump in and out (mattseattle)? Cool idea! There are doors on the sides of the stand which gives side access. I'm almost tempted to make a template and rip out the router with a flush trim bit and put one on the left side of my stand...Who knows with me:D

Krish, put the router down and step away slowly...:lol:
Matt's stand idea is really cool. I think he may be on to something good there.

The sump/ sumps look great. Good luck with getting the old one out.

Krish, put the router down and step away slowly...

ROFL! For some reason I don't think you want me using power tools:lol: First you wouldn't let me sand the bottom of the tank with an electric sander using 20 grit now the stand!!:lol:

Grrr!!! I just looked at my sump last night and noticed big cracks that come from the holes I cut out for the bulkheads. It would seem tightening those bulkheads causes those cracks to form. I may have to weld that whole thing together after all.

Could this be caused by the quality of acrylic I'm using?

Grrr!!! I just looked at my sump last night and noticed big cracks that come from the holes I cut out for the bulkheads. It would seem tightening those bulkheads causes those cracks to form. I may have to weld that whole thing together after all.

Could this be caused by the quality of acrylic I'm using?

Not sure man...But that sucks! Sorry to hear that:doubt: I don't know much about the different grades of acrylic, but I'm sure one of the IAP guys like Brian or Tom (BigT) would know...Let us know how it works out:)

I think I'm going to take it apart this weekend and run some Weldon #3 along the cracks. I hope that will take care of them.

I think I'm going to take it apart this weekend and run some Weldon #3 along the cracks. I hope that will take care of them.

That should do it or if you want a little more security, you could probably sandwich in the sump wall that is cracking in between 2 new pieces of acrylic that you can glue in with weldon. It will make the wall thicker, but it will be stronger...Just a thought. I'm sure the glue should work on it's own if they aren't big cracks. I wish you luck:)

I used up the rest of my Weld on #3 this weekend. Instead of buying more I picked up some furniture stripper that contains mostly methylene chloride (main ingredient in Weld on). Have you guys ever given that a try? It seems to melt the pieces together ok. It costs about $4 for a large container.

I used up the rest of my Weld on #3 this weekend. Instead of buying more I picked up some furniture stripper that contains mostly methylene chloride (main ingredient in Weld on). Have you guys ever given that a try? It seems to melt the pieces together ok. It costs about $4 for a large container.

Naw...Never tried it. Maybe pm Tom or Brian ans ask them if no-one chimes in soon:)

Perhaps I'll give that a try. I tried it on a small piece last night and it seems to hold just as well as the Weld on. I'm just somewhat worried about the other ingredients that could kill my tank inhabitants. :(

On the other hand methylene chloride is pretty damn toxic by itself! Perhaps all the excess nasty stuff just evaporates away.

Back