• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Reef Frontiers and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Controllable NOVA LEDs Arrived

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

barrierreefcf

Sponsor
We've expanded our lineup of Custom Tuned EverGrow LEDs to include the Controllable NOVA series w/ Moonlights. These lights are brand new for 2013 and these are some of the first units to hit the country. We have the A8 and A4 models in-stock. A6s will be coming at a later date.

Controllable A8 with Moonlights- $499.99

NOVAA8-1_zps2060c67d.jpg

Controllable A4 with Moonlights - $339.99

NOVAA4WLCD-1_zps06cdb8f3.jpg

NOVAA4WLCD-3_zps8919c43e.jpg

We also sell both lights without the controller and moonlights for around $100 less.

Last edited:
Is there an advantage of the pucks vs rows of LEDs in the IT series?

Apparently it reduces the spotlighting of single colors by keeping even groups of all the colors. I can really only tell the difference personally with the reds. I own the 24'' version of the evergrow it120 and like it a lot so far. Although I still may get a radion pro just for the bragging rights at some point lol

Is there an advantage of the pucks vs rows of LEDs in the IT series?

In the Radions, the reflector they use helps blend the light together. With the NOVA series they used different (better) optics, compared to the IT series, and laid it out this way. They tell me this was their design to maximize heat dissipation. The puck itself offers no extra reflective or blending advantage.

Hi Mark,

Yes we can order them customized with whatever color LED folks would like. Orders would have to be pre-paid and it takes about 10-14 days for the custom light arrive. Simply request a custom layout sheet, for the model you want, through email. [email protected] :) The nice thing about these lights is if you don't like your layout, its pretty easy to change individual LEDs. We keep some colors in stock but not all.

Bridgelux LED Options:

IR 730nm: $4 more per piece
Red 660nm, 630nm
Orange 600-610nm
Green 520nm
Blue 460nm
Blue 450-455nm
Blue 440nm: $1 more per piece
UV 400-420nm: $2 more per piece
White 3.5K, 4.5K, 6.5K, 7000K-8000K, 8000K-10000K, 10-12K, 12-14K

can you explain a bit how they are controllable, can you set it to ramp up and taper off to just blue night lights, and then off? if not then is there any plans to link to apex controllers?

can you explain a bit how they are controllable, can you set it to ramp up and taper off to just blue night lights, and then off? if not then is there any plans to link to apex controllers?

Hi,

The controller allows you to set whether you want to make changes on 30 or 60 minute intervals. You can then independently adjust the "white" channel from 0-100% and the "blue" channel from 0-100%. This allows you to ramp up or down as you please. It follows that you could have the whites at 0% and the blue on at whatever % you choose. Once the "white" channel hits zero and the "blue" channel drops below 10% the three moonlights kick on and the rest of the "blue" channel shuts off. You can then adjust the three moonlights anywhere from 0-9% but if you go higher the rest of "blue" channel kicks back on to compensate. This allows for a nice level of control and we currently do not plan to pursue any further customization.
Thanks,
Cy

Apparently it reduces the spotlighting of single colors by keeping even groups of all the colors. I can really only tell the difference personally with the reds. I own the 24'' version of the evergrow it120 and like it a lot so far. Although I still may get a radion pro just for the bragging rights at some point lol

Radion Pro's aren't that great for "bragging rights" lol.

I have 2 of the Nova A8s over my new 150 build. So far I like them a lot. I am using the default programmed mode but will be changing the program when i have time. One thing i love is the remote. It is small and compact, well designed, and you can use every function that is on the controller, from the remote control. Out the box there are 5 modes. Sunny, Cloudy, Custom, Manual, and Moonlight. The modes are as follows. Sunny Blue 100% White 100% Cloudy Blue 60% White 60% Custom is the program mode where they ramp up then ramp down. The default Custom mode does not make use of the moonlights, they ramp all the way down to zero, and as Cy said, the moonlights are 0-9 on the blue channel. Not that this matters, but 60% White and 60% Blue are not actually the same percent as the blues don't come on till the controller is at 10%. Does that make sense? Manual is whatever you set them at, I have my manual setting at 100 Blue and 0 White, just to show off some corals that pop in blue LED but I wouldn't use this setting for anything other than to just play with. Moonlight is White 0 and Blue 9. Fans are nice and quiet and don't come on till the lights ramp up, not sure what percent triggers them. If you get two fixtures like i did, the remote control will operate both lights, so hide your extra remote in case you lose or break one.
After 2 weeks, I am extremely happy with these lights. Check out my thread for pics.. http://www.reeffrontiers.com/f70/ichthys-150-reef-build-66658/index3.html
Pic with both lights at 60%
013_zps9f26c8df.jpg

Last edited:
I have 2 of the Nova A8s over my new 150 build. So far I like them a lot. I am using the default programmed mode but will be changing the program when i have time. One thing i love is the remote. It is small and compact, well designed, and you can use every function that is on the controller, from the remote control. Out the box there are 5 modes. Sunny, Cloudy, Custom, Manual, and Moonlight. The modes are as follows. Sunny Blue 100% White 100% Cloudy Blue 60% White 60% Custom is the program mode where they ramp up then ramp down. The default Custom mode does not make use of the moonlights, they ramp all the way down to zero, and as Cy said, the moonlights are 0-9 on the blue channel. Not that this matters, but 60% White and 60% Blue are not actually the same percent as the blues don't come on till the controller is at 10%. Does that make sense? Manual is whatever you set them at, I have my manual setting at 100 Blue and 0 White, just to show off some corals that pop in blue LED but I wouldn't use this setting for anything other than to just play with. Moonlight is White 0 and Blue 9. Fans are nice and quiet and don't come on till the lights ramp up, not sure what percent triggers them. If you get two fixtures like i did, the remote control will operate both lights, so hide your extra remote in case you lose or break one.
After 2 weeks, I am extremely happy with these lights. Check out my thread for pics.. http://www.reeffrontiers.com/f70/ichthys-150-reef-build-66658/index3.html
Pic with both lights at 60%
013_zps9f26c8df.jpg

Can't wait to see this tank mature!

Back