Copper question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ciao

Reef Newbie (SOS PLEASE!)
I was wondering what people's opinions are on using a used tank that had copper used in it once. When I bought my tank, I know that a copper treatment had been used once on the tank to treat some of the salt water fish in it. When I bought the tank, I threw out the sand and bought new sand and rocks for it and will be using the same equipment(sump tank, protein skimmer, pumps, powerheads). Will the previous copper treatment be and issue even though I got rid of the sand and rocks and will be using new stuff? Is there anything I can do to remedy the situation if it is?

"what people's opinions are on using a used tank that had copper used in it once"

IT CAN KILL EVERYTHING IN YOUR REEF SLOWLY !!!

I'll piggyback on this thread for a similar question:

I purchased an aquarium from this gent and he said there were no medications used in his former tank. I just looked through the supplies that came with the tank and found some Copper Safe and Ich medication.

I plan on turning this tank into a freshwater by scrubbing the life out of it and letting it run a few weeks. Can the sand that came with the tank be used in a saltwater setup? Is there a way to boil/bleach/clean the crushed coral substrate so that it can be reef-friendly, or will it forever be demoted to a fish-only setup?

... Does anybody want a 5gal bucket of substrate?

Thanks! :)

I'll piggyback on this thread for a similar question:

I purchased an aquarium from this gent and he said there were no medications used in his former tank. I just looked through the supplies that came with the tank and found some Copper Safe and Ich medication.

I plan on turning this tank into a freshwater by scrubbing the life out of it and letting it run a few weeks. Can the sand that came with the tank be used in a saltwater setup? Is there a way to boil/bleach/clean the crushed coral substrate so that it can be reef-friendly, or will it forever be demoted to a fish-only setup?

... Does anybody want a 5gal bucket of substrate?

Thanks! :)

From what little I know, you can forget about using the crushed coral substrate for any kind of tank that will contain invertebrates. It should be fine for any type of fish tank as long as you figure it's disease free to begin with.

When I bought my tank, I threw away all the sand and rocks that had been exposed to the copper since I knew I wanted to do a reef tank. Just chalk it up as another added expense of setting up a reef tank:rolleyes:

Back