Copperband Butterfly not eating

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Jan/Azgard1,

Thanks. I kinda knew this was going to happen. I believe this loss was a poor choice of fish on my part. I should know better being I've been in this hobby for 10yrs.

On a positive note, I purchased a nice looking 3" Majestic angelfish (at SharkReef). It has been in a QT for 2 days that is doing very well. I made sure it ate in my presence (which it did). Eats a mixture of mysis and brine shrimp. Going forward, I am going to soak food in selcon and vitamins to ensure good nutrition. I am very pleased thus far.

I have been talking with Robert Fenner regarding stocking my 375g tank with several large angelfish. He said this has been done successful, so I am going to be wise about fish selection and the order they are placed in the tank. I plan on QTing each fish.

BTW, Azgard1's avatar is a sweeeet looking emperor.

Sorry to hear of this, Kirk. You are very diligent in your efforts, I'm sure. Some fish just won't or don't acclimate to captivity and the CBB is one of those with a below average success rate at acclimation.

The pathogens that cause Black Ich are relatively fragile, as marine pathogens go. I would follow the general cleaning recommendation for a QT Clean Up With Disease that I posted here: Cleaning Procedures.

Good luck! :)

Lee,

It must have been a long day, and I am just not thinking clearly. I have a question about this:
1. As above
2. As above
3. As above
4. Wash with bleach, diluted about 1:10 of household bleach
5. Rinse several times in fresh tap water
6. Rinse a few times with RO/DI or distilled water
7. Let aquarium/equipment go bone dry.

What do these numbers correspond to???

Thanks
Kirk

No problem. Most of them mean I'm lazy. :D

If you are referring to "As above" then you follow the instructions for those numbers written above in the previous section or sections.

If you are referring to the ratios (e.g., 1:10) that means a dilution using tap water.

For instance, for number 4. You would take one part bleach and dilute it with 10 parts tap water then use that solution. To be a little more clear, let's say you needed a bit more than 2 quarts of the cleaning liquid. Then you would take one cup of household bleach and put that into 10 cups of tap water. Swirl to mix and then you have an approximately 1:10 dilution and 11 cups of cleaning solution.

If this doesn't answer your question, then ask again, maybe differently. :)

Wow..I thought it was a no/no to use bleach in a tank. I thought that would kill any fish that would occupy it.

Kirk bleach in the tank water would definitely be a problem, but it works great for cleaning tank stuff. I believe it rinses off real well. I have a canister filter with a polishing cartridge that I use for a couple of days once in awhile, when I take it down I bleach and then rinse the cartridge real well before I store it. My personal rule is to rinse until I no longer can smell the bleach.

P.S. Sorry to hear about the CBB, you tried real hard and should not feel bad, some fish just are not going to make it in spite of our efforts.

So use 1:10 ratio of bleach to clean the inside of the tank, then let bone dry
Right????

Not quite. You have to follow the process.

Step 1. (As above). Then
Step 2. (As above). Then
Step 3. (As above). Then
Step 4. Wash out with the diluted bleach. Then
Step 5. Tap water rinses. Then
Step 6. RO/DI or Distilled water rinses. Then
Step 7. Let go bone dry.

Don't forget the rinses. These are what will make it safe for future fishes.

Lee,

OK. I think I understand this. Since the section, QT Cleanup after Medication was Used is before the QT Clean Up With Disease section you recommended, I am to follow steps 1-3 in the QT Cleanup after Medication was Used section, as noted:

1. Rinse in tap water
2. Wash with vinegar, diluted about 1:10 in tap water
3. Rinse a few times with fresh tap water

Once these steps are complete, I will then follow these steps:
Step 4. Wash out with the diluted bleach. Then
Step 5. Tap water rinses. Then
Step 6. RO/DI or Distilled water rinses. Then
Step 7. Let go bone dry.

Does this sound right to you??

Thanks
Kirk

Back