Copperbanded butterfly and sps?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I don't recommend CBB's for aptasia control, these aren't easy fish to keep. They don't ship well and will often refuse to eat even aptasia. My advice is don't get one unless you see him eat at the LFS or you have a refugium to help him convert to prepared foods. I have had three...first one refused to eat second one would eat anything but liked to sleep next to my Seio ph, not a good decision and this is my current CBB eating out of my hand :)

Last edited:
I hear ya on that Robert, my copperband which I've had now for 5 years is finicky when it comes to aiptasia. It would only eat them if I was blasting them. Then while the fish was in my 180g never bothered a clam. I sold my 180g and moved the fish to my 120g and it started in on my tear drop maxima. These fish are so funny. Mine has eaten from day 1 but 99% may not.

What are you feeding yours Sue ? Mine loves mysis, scallop and Tiger shrimp I get from the seafood dept at the grocery store. Now you know a pic is obligatory :lol:

Mine eats any and all things mysis. The PE brand of mysis are it's favorite. It will not eat any kind of flake, but does eat brine which I get the enriched kind. I'd love to show a pic of this big guy but still don't have a camera.

It's about as big as my bro-in-laws hand and he's a fairly big dude. :lol:

I posted this in DIY.

I designed this feeder initially to get my cooperband to eat. It is simply a plastic pill bottle with (2) 3/16 holes drilled into the cap and the bottom cut off, and put onto a holder so it can set on top of the tank without falling in.

Drop a couple of frozen cubes of food into it and the copperband will get the idea where to feed quickly. It will be sticking his beak into the feeder hole to get food in a week and pulling it out for the other fish. It may take 15 minutes to get all the food out.

It could take some copperband a month or more before they get a taste for aiptasia. Once they do, they hunt for them and go through them quickly. The feeder assures they won't starve when the aiptasia are gone and equalizes feeding between them and other fish.

Last edited:
Mine has picked at my clams on very rare occasions. If you keep them well fed, they are usually fine.

BTW, John, that is a cool idea. DO you still use it after they become established. It seems like it would be an efficient to feed.

tacocat said:
Mine has picked at my clams on very rare occasions. If you keep them well fed, they are usually fine.

BTW, John, that is a cool idea. DO you still use it after they become established. It seems like it would be an efficient to feed.

yes...I use it always to feed the the fish.

Back