Coraline algae

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I find that the rock under the more intense lighting seems to lose its coraline yet it grows quickly in areas where the light is less direct. This in a 100 gal tub that I am using to cure rock while waiting for my display tank to be delivered. Some of the rock is probably 10 inches directly below a 14K 250W MH. That rock loses its coraline pretty quickly but rocks that are not directly under the MH grow coraline quickly. I didn't know you could have too much light for optimal coraline growth but that appears to be the case in my experiece. Has anyone else run into that?

I've noticed coraline growing better in the wild (Hawaii) underneath the bottom of the rocks they are growing on. In my tank it seem to do better in areas of lower light too.

What is the best way to KICK start more coraline algae growth
Calcium 480
nitrates <10
Nitritse 0
phos.. .2
dKh 10
PH 8.3
Ammonia 0
gravity 1.025
And there is coraline algae on some of the rock in the tank!!

The best way is to get some of the coraline from my tank... lol. Some of my live rock is over 18 years old and the coraline algae is very healthy. However you may regret it taking over you reef! I have to scrape off acrylic every week. A REAL PAIN In THE @RSE!

Yeah coraline is great to look at when it is just on your rocks but when it gets on your glass where you view your tank it gets to be a pain in the #%$ having to scrape those areas all the time. I wish I can just make them grow and stay on the rocks. That is one major reason for me to stay away from acrylic tanks just because of the coraline scraping.

Back