Crab season is approaching!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Workaholic

Millipora Addict
OK, so I have access to a small boat and am looking at purchasing a pot or two. Are there any spots worth recomending for dungy/red rock crabbing this year? Season opens july 1st.

So far Greg (artguy1) has recomended the des moines pier due to being in close proximity to a man made reef that you could even run your pots off the dock. I have the boat so I can go out a little bit and get them closer to the reef if I would like. Anyone know of any other good spots?

Thanks,
Tom

Ps: one thing to keep in mind is its a small boat (about 12') with just a 8hp motor, its not much but its nough to get me around and get some crab :badgrin:

any other pointers would be great too as i'm just getting into this for myself. always been with someone that knew what they were doing before.

Tom

We have some good crabbing up North here but it's quite a drive for you. We are about an hour N of you and we crab about 45 minutes N of here. If you do get up this way let us know.

I strapp on my scuba tanks and dive gear and go dive for them crabbs....I never steal a crab from a pot that i pass by, but if handy I will stuff a couple empty pop or beer bottles or rocks in their cage for a laught. funny stuff.

I strapp on my scuba tanks and dive gear and go dive for them crabbs....I never steal a crab from a pot that i pass by, but if handy I will stuff a couple empty pop or beer bottles or rocks in their cage for a laught. funny stuff.

That was you! :mad: and I thought I was just drunk when I set my pot.:D

Joys of scuba dive crabbing.

and I'd need a much much bigger pot to boil down the Acropora plating coral from Fiji at 85 feet deep with my wife in it for scale........:eek:

OK, so I have access to a small boat and am looking at purchasing a pot or two. Are there any spots worth recomending for dungy/red rock crabbing this year? Season opens july 1st.

So far Greg (artguy1) has recomended the des moines pier due to being in close proximity to a man made reef that you could even run your pots off the dock. I have the boat so I can go out a little bit and get them closer to the reef if I would like. Anyone know of any other good spots?

Thanks,
Tom

Ps: one thing to keep in mind is its a small boat (about 12') with just a 8hp motor, its not much but its nough to get me around and get some crab :badgrin:

Hey Tom,
We have launched off of Redondo right down by Salty's. We have put out pots just south of the launch and then went out salmon fishin'. On the way back in you pick up the pots and see what ya get. Pulled in quite a few Dungies that were males and legal size-wise. Yummy.

Lemme know if ya need any info...or if ya have an open seat sometime man!

Take 'er 'ez
Greg P

Hey Tom,
We have launched off of Redondo right down by Salty's. We have put out pots just south of the launch and then went out salmon fishin'. On the way back in you pick up the pots and see what ya get. Pulled in quite a few Dungies that were males and legal size-wise. Yummy.

Lemme know if ya need any info...or if ya have an open seat sometime man!

Take 'er 'ez
Greg P

Thanks for the info greg, when did you do this? i thought the season didn't open till july 1st?

Tom

Thanks for the info greg, when did you do this? i thought the season didn't open till july 1st?

Tom

We did this last summer...salmon fishing was not that great...many of the fisherman got skunked...for most of the season....so the crabs made up for it at the end of the day.

Greg P

Back