crazy nice Italian tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I agree about zeovit and the corals not doing well in going from a zeo tank to a non zeo tank. I had always wondered about that. I too say I can achieve the great colors and not have to spend the kind of $$$$ it takes to run a zeo tank. I'm also not knocking zeo at all.

Kevin,,how do you think about Italian reef menu mixed?
Hi Dang,
I haven't tried it so I don't have an opinion one way or another.
For an intensely lit SPS type tanks nutrient control long term is always an issue. When I say long term I'm talking about 5 years or more. There are so many ways to keep your nutrients low there is not (IMO/IME) the best way or magic bullet :). I hear so often about algae problems in high light setups but you don't see it in so many great looking tanks that are all over the world. They use many different methods and equipment to achieve the same beautiful result.

IMO/IME you need to research many different methods/equipment and find one or a blend of ones that fit your needs and lifestyle. If the method you are using achieves the results you are looking for, don't change it just for the sake of a new fad. This can lead to tank problems or even a tank crash if you are not completely familiar with the methods or equipment. This is not to say we can't tweak a little here and there :D , just a caution note about what can possibly happen.

There are some in this hobby that will never be satisfied with what their current tank status is and constantly change and tweak everything. These people need to be slapped :shock: :lol:
Just kidding. They are very much needed to come up with additional methods and equipment for us to spend our money on :badgrin:

SPS Reefkeeping has become achievable for everyone only in about the last 15 years, due mostly to the efforts of individual people rather than large corporations. Also the internet has allowed the quick transfer of information from person to person. It has also allowed the viewing of so many outstanding tanks without having to leave your home. I can honestly say I have seen nicer SPS tanks in private homes than at some public facilities.

Sorry to ramble off subject a bit and hope not to derail this thread.

Best regards,
Kevin

i think you known what i'm thinking:lol: ,,thanks Kevin,,
i discussed the new menu with my tank feeder(my neiece)she said i 'd been feed your tank as we agree for the past 4 years,,now you want to change to the new menu,,question had came up during discusion:are we having growing problem,,algea bloom,,bad color etc,, all the answer is no!!
that got me thinking,,these people try to fix the when is not broke, should be slapped:badgrin: :badgrin: :lol: ,,i agree including myself,,thanks again ,,you're the man:)

Kevin, I love your ramblings, I always learn so much from them. ;)

I agree if your tank has great colors, corals are healty and growing good then there is no reason to change anything. I tried this due to the metal issue I had in my tank that had happened and I was not getting any growth after the problem was gone. After trying this I can say with no problem that my growth has started up again and the corals that were not doing anything are now happily back on track and growth is extremely well. I'm glad I tried it and will for the immediate future will continue to use it. I haven't had any nuisance algal problems start up and in fact everything including my rock has never looked better.

SueT, I assume you feed your fish other foods to supplement or do you only feed this coral mush to the tank? I would be worried about overfeeding.

My fish get their regular 2 a day feedings of mysis, enriched brine and nori. This is only fed once a week. I have no algae problems and haven't since I started feeding this. This coral food is not really specifically for fish feeding. It is more for the corals.

wow!!!! I can't wait for my tank to get all grown up... Sweet tank Ocean Drive, thanks for sharing it with us.

Instead of HGH, using L Glutamine for Amino Acids mixed in with the food, feeding once a week, and ReefPlus once a week inbetween.

Where do you get the L Glutamine? Megamass 1000 down at the gym?

Also, do you also turn the skimmer off when you dose the ReefPlus?

Last edited:
you keep the skimmer running for oxygenation, but take the collection cup off. The L-glutamine can be bought at any natural health store. I believe it's the 500mg caps. It does need to be the vegetable base with no fructose and no yeast.

Maybe I missed it above; how much L Glutamine are you dosing? The whole 500mg capsule?

I think I'll eat some too, and turn my flab into buffness.

you make the entire batch and pour it up into a fish food cube tray. The 500mg is mixed into the whole blender of mush. You need to make the whole recipe. I wouldn't know how to make less without messing up the recipe.

I agree about zeovit and the corals not doing well in going from a zeo tank to a non zeo tank.

I have gotten at least a half dozen corals from my friends Zeo tank & they are all doing fine. Some pieces will color up differently but that's about it.
Sps colors vary in many different type systems....so nothing new there either.

i missed mytank took it down completed/sold the restaurant,,with heavyly feed ,but not with popone
this 3 yeard old tank,every corals in the tank started from 1 1/2"- 2" frag,but puple accro in the ctr start from 4-5 " frag
front of the tank
oldtank1.jpg

back of the tank
oldtank.jpg

Last edited:
Back