Creative thinkers, help me with my overflow!!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

kcharm

I have a minibow 5 I want to use an AGA 5.5 as a fuge. Problem is the height difference between the 2 is only about 2 inches. I had thought of using 2 3/4-inch overflows to feed the 300 to 500 gph of flow that will be the return. Problem is, with the trim pieces on the tanks, there is less than 1 inch of usable space...not enough for a bulkhead. The tanks are back to back (the stand under the minibow that comes with it provides about a 1/2-inch of seperation) and I have maxed out the width of my dresser (aka the stand) so I can't add any more seperation. If possible, I'd prefer to not pump from the tank to the fuge because I'm trying to keep everything out of the fuge.

The minibow 5 is acrylic, a little thin, but still acrylic. The AGA 5.5 is, you guessed it, all glass. :)

Thanks for you ideas!

I love a good plumbing puzzle but without pics Im at a loss. I'll read this again in the morning when i'm rested and maybe something will come to me.

I'll work on getting some photos posted to show you what I'm talking about. I agree, it helps me also when I can see the question being asked.

Since the display is acrylic why not just cut slits or drill staggered holes for a overflow and build a acrylic chute to carry the water over to the fuge. Here is a drawing. I drew it with slits but holes will work just as good.

Last edited:
Cool idea! How hard would that be to build? I don't really have any experience with building with plastic...at least not in the last 10 years of so. I do seem to recall that you can just buy really cheap pieces of scrap at the plastic shops. I doubt this would take much!

How would you keep it from splashing into the fuge? The tank is in my bedroom and I really don't want to hear spalshing all night.

I suppose I'd have to build something inside the tank to keep the water level up just above the level of the black trim?

You dont have to use a bulkhead you could just drill a hole just big enough to insert a male 3/4" threaded pvc fitting with a o-ring on it, through the tank into a female threaded pvc fitting.

You dont have to use a bulkhead you could just drill a hole just big enough to insert a male 3/4" threaded pvc fitting with a o-ring on it, through the tank into a female threaded pvc fitting.

Plus, if I'm willing to do all this cutting to the tank, trimming the black trim piece on top of the tank is no big deal either...as long as I don't obliterate it. If I need that extra 1/4 inch, that's where I can get.

I think this calls for a HD run. Good thing I live almost across the street!

Back