crushed coral and sand ok?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Aristarchus

I bought 15 lbs of florida crushed coral and 60 pounds of oolitic aragonite by caribsea and i was wondering if this would be a good idea to combine the 2 types? It's going into my new 55 gallon (first SW tank). I've heard bad things about crushed coral, such as it harbors algae and is difficult to clean therefore it looks bad, and even that it raises nitrate levels. Any recommendations? Thanks

BTW, it's great to see all of you from WA... didn't know there was such a large scene. RF has become one of the sites I frequent lately. :)

Welcome to RF! I used crushed corals on my first set up and it didn't work out well for me personally. I took the thing down for a number of reasons, but one was because I didn't particularily like the cc. They say the little pockets in them harbor nitrates. Another member here had the same problem with cc (daytonaconnecti) and removed it as well. I guess you will still have some out there that use it, but it is just a matter of opinion. I went to regular fiji pink, and now I am bb (bare bottom:)) I'll see if I can dig up two links that might help. One is a poll about substrate and the other was the problem Bill was having with CC>:)

It matters to whom you get information on grain size ant type of sand. I don't remember who wrote about it, maybe Dr. Ron, but I am not a 100% sure, but any way he wrote that to have a successful DSB you will need several different grain sizes from very fine to somewhat coarse, as far as different types, I used about 50/50 coral to argonite. I did use three different grain sizes though, about 30% was very fine, 60% was fine, and 10% was coarse. The thing most people don't like is the color differential, the coral being white and the argonite being a dark tan swirl mixed in with it.

How do you like your sand bed? Do you have any nitrate problems, is it hard to clean, and how do burrowing fish do in it? I'd like to get a jawfish or something of the sort. Just looking for what advantages and disadvantages you have noticed by having a mixed substrate. Very interesting concept and I think I might have to try it out. :)

Hey aristarchus,

Have you ran into anyone from the tri-cities involved with their local saltwater club? There is a fabulous group of people to meet with if you haven't already!

They have a forum here on Reef Frontiers... Mid-Columbia Saltwater

Aristarchus said:
How do you like your sand bed? Do you have any nitrate problems, is it hard to clean, and how do burrowing fish do in it? I'd like to get a jawfish or something of the sort. Just looking for what advantages and disadvantages you have noticed by having a mixed substrate. Very interesting concept and I think I might have to try it out. :)
Hi and welcome to reef frontiers there is alot of us from the pacific northwest here, but there many members from all over the world.

as far as sand goes I love my sand I use bahama's oolite live sand from carib sea. you do have to gravel vac the top layer to help keep detritius low. as far as nitrates are concerned thats what the live sand does. you will never see any nitrates. or at least I have not seen any. there are alot of members here that really love the bb (bare bottom) but I really love the way it looks and the critters that thrive in it.

krish75 said:
Welcome to RF! I used crushed corals on my first set up and it didn't work out well for me personally. I took the thing down for a number of reasons, but one was because I didn't particularily like the cc. They say the little pockets in them harbor nitrates. Another member here had the same problem with cc (daytonaconnecti) and removed it as well. I guess you will still have some out there that use it, but it is just a matter of opinion. I went to regular fiji pink, and now I am bb (bare bottom:)) I'll see if I can dig up two links that might help. One is a poll about substrate and the other was the problem Bill was having with CC>:)
frist off welcome, i would agree with krish, i was using all cc, for about 4 years,and over time their was alot of wast that had goton traped, if you will, in the cc, partly due to my lack of maint, any way, iam now bb, and so far so good, thats not to say cc wont work... i just like bb, some dont like the looks...but it not bad.

I have not run in to any real problems yet, and I do not vaccum the sand, that takes away from the whole porpose of the DSB to start with. I have high flow in my tank so very little just sits on the sand anway, and my clown likes to burrow under the LR to make little passage ways I guess so every once I a while I get a sand storm, but no adverse affects so far.

thanks for all the replies everyone, i will end up removing the CC and going with just sand. too bad i can't take the cc back for a refund now that it is out of the bag lol

Previously posted by diablo
I use bahama's oolite live sand from carib sea

That's a cool place man...Wish I could visit there sometime:)

thanks for all the replies everyone, i will end up removing the CC and going with just sand. too bad i can't take the cc back for a refund now that it is out of the bag lol

Got a cat??;)

Good luck with the decision you made. Make sure you post us some pictures cause we all love pictures:)

Aristarchus said:
got a calcium reactor???? throw the cc in there:D

Back