Crystal Sea Marinemix & Bio-Sea Marinemix

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

idgy

Does any one use either of these salts? How do you like them?

never have. I have used Instant ocean, Kent and oceanic. Would not recommend the oceanic again.

I never figured I needed a bio assy salt. I like I.O. cheap effective consistant. I know that doesnt answer your question. Just my thoughts on the matter.

I used bio-sea and had good results but went to reef crystals because I had to drive to far for the bio-sea . no change with the reef crystals so I'm happy .

Do a search over on RC about the Crystal Seas salt... There was a Mass Epidemic after Ron Smuck posted about it being the best salt... Several hundred people switched over to the salt and Most lost $1000s as a direct result of switching...

I used it and never had an issue however I only used about 50g worth until I found the link... It was very low in Mg as well.. around 900ppm if I remember right..

HTH<
James

Crystal sea marine mix bio assay formula is the complete name, you are asking about one salt not two it looks like. It works fine, I used a bucket of it, it disolves slow and is cloudy for a day or so, but with plenty of water movement that goes away. I know some people get bitter when their live stock dies as a result of a change, but they do need to remember to do things in moderation. I have not had any problems with it, but it is hard to come by and it is expensive. I have tried IO, Oceanic, Crystal sea, and Reef Crystals with no ill affects so far, maybe I am lucky. I think the next salt I will try will be the tropic marin, I have read many good reviews, but agian it is hard to come by were I live.

tropic marin isnt really that great , actually. the problem is that it's composition changes with every batch. not very reliable.
i have used crystal seas marine mix and had great results, you just have to mix it with your current salt and transition slowly, a good idea with any salt change.

skimerwhisperer said:
tropic marin isnt really that great , actually. the problem is that it's composition changes with every batch. not very reliable.

Curious, how did you come to this conclusion? Have you used it and tested each batch yourself?

Trying to decide what type of salt to use when I upgrade my 55 to a 75, and Tropic Marin is one at the top of the list, I have heard it is a good salt, so I would like to know how you back that statement up if you don't mind :D

MikeS

Look into Oceanpure.. A Bunch of us down here in oregon is using it with great success.. Alot like oceanic but with IMO perfectly balanced levels.. So far out of the several buckets I have gotten they all seem to be pretty much the same consistency..

Africa NW carries it up there by you so tell your LFS to get some in and try it for yourself..

James

well sand lord,
anyone who works in the industry knows this, it is well documented. go find it yourself if you want to read about it, im not motivated enough to find it. mabye on reef central.
im sure a good batch of tropic marin is probably better than i.o. but for almost double the cost you can bet i wont be wasting my money on it.

skimerwhisperer said:
well sand lord,
anyone who works in the industry knows this, it is well documented. go find it yourself if you want to read about it, im not motivated enough to find it. mabye on reef central.
im sure a good batch of tropic marin is probably better than i.o. but for almost double the cost you can bet i wont be wasting my money on it.

No, I don't work in the industry, so I don't know this...sorry

I've tried many different brands of salt in the last 20 years, still looking for that near perfect one. Tropic Marin caught my eye, and I've heard many positive things about it. Your post is one of the first negative ones I've read about it (sorry I don't frequent RC) and I was wondering where the statement came from...ie your own personal experience, a new study, word of mouth, ect...would be nice to know these things before I commit to this expensive salt...

MikeS

Mike... IMO so far Oceanpure is that near perfect salt... I was looking for something like that and found Oceanpure... My wife calls me a perfectionist and I am very satisfied with Oceanpure as of now...

James

yup, crystal seas will fry your zoethanthella as well as your bad hair algae if you dont mix it with the current salt you use.
and it is cloudy for a day or so, i noticed. someone gave me a bucket, i probably wont buy another.
via aqua huh, i wouldnt expect a quality salt from them, but the proof is in the pudding. and if weast uses it, it cant be too bad, i know he's got some pretty finniky corals. i might have to try some.

Illusion said:
Mike... IMO so far Oceanpure is that near perfect salt... I was looking for something like that and found Oceanpure... My wife calls me a perfectionist and I am very satisfied with Oceanpure as of now...

James

How long have you been using it?

MikeS

So far I have been using it since about Jan 23rd, 2005... Cant remember the exact date... I think Weast followed about a month or less after that... O2manyfish was using it for like 8 months prior to me using it.. (if i remember right from the post)

I do 50g water changes every 2-3 weeks so I have gone thru quite a few buckets since each bucket will do about 125g or so (150g @1.023 i think) Its definetly worth a try...

As for Via Aqua making it I am pretty supprised of the quality myself and wa a bit Leary to try it in my tank... They sent me out a sample and I mixed it up and came up with nice levels... I waited until a friend of mine used it in his prop system and aksed him a few days later if everything lived lol... He was like yeah of course.. So in it went and I have gone thru so much of it in my tank and the levels havent varied much from batch to batch... Buckets arent as nice as Oceanic but who cares lol...

James

I'm leary as well, tried many different salts over the years, they all seem to have positives and negatives....although honestly, I have never encountered a completely "bad" salt...

just find yourself a small bag.. mix it up and test it... If you like the levels drop it into your tank and start using it... Heck send them an email offer to pay for shipping if they give you a small sample... www.viaaqua.net

James...

Actually....Oceanpure is made by TAAM....the parent company of RIO pumps...etc etc....etc...

- Elmo

Back