Crystalclear125 49 gal tank build!!!!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Crystalclear125

so i have a new project i am starting on.
Getting sick of my little 29gal so i thought i would build myself a 49gal tank from scratch...
the tank will be 31 inch long 19 1/2 inch wide and 20 inches tall.
so here is the start of the pics once i get more i'll post. it may take me a week to finish this tank....oh i can't wait

Over flow
crystal49galtank005.jpg

side panels
crystal49galtank004.jpg

front and back panels
crystal49galtank003.jpg

bottom
crystal49galtank002.jpg

bracing
crystal49galtank006.jpg

south sound glass works got it and cut it for me.. they are really nice and sanded edges and cut PERFECTLY to measurements..!

Can I ask what it cost? Cheaper than buying one, or putting it together for fun?

We went with 1/4" but i am putting black plastic on the bottom and top like a store bought tank and two support braces on the very top..

the cost for all the glass was 160 and change. I would have went 3/8 but it's cut off site. not guaranteed straight or flat cuts and double the cost!
AND a tank that size is not found ANYWERE . it is a custom size..

were were gonna go 20 front to back but the math wouldn't work for the existing stand! :(
so we added an inch to the side to side and kept the same height as the 125 AND It will have an internal overflow out of glass also. :)

the cost for all the glass was 160 and change. I would have went 3/8 but it's cut off site. not guaranteed straight or flat cuts and double the cost!
AND a tank that size is not found ANYWERE . it is a custom size..

I've had a few custom sized glass tanks built and the cost was twice what it seems like it should have been.

We have been talking about this tank for nearly a year.. We are gonna give it a go..
I have two 10.3 oz tubes of marienland silicone on the way.. and the plumbing is half able to switch over from the 29..

Hey Adam, I would recommend this silicone. GREAT adhesion and strong. Momentive RTV103 or IS803. It's available at Grainger and is food-safe.

Got one tube of the black RTV103 for the tank...
and tom I will get 1"- 1 1/2" tall and about 1/8" thick black ridged plasctic stips to outline the bottom and top just for stability.

Got one tube of the black RTV103 for the tank...
and tom I will get 1"- 1 1/2" tall and about 1/8" thick black ridged plasctic stips to outline the bottom and top just for stability.

word! Black silicon tanks are the best, definitely my favorite.

Back