cucumbers

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

dpdecaro

hello

I was wondering how many people actual have had good sucess with cucumbers. It seem that i read more stories of them losing there guts and posioning the tank then them benifiting the sand bed. I would really like to get one. They seem like a real benifit to your bed. I have a 160 gal inverted stair step tank. I only have yellow tang, two clown a lm blemmie and a chromis with a bunch of snail. When i try to add more fish it seems like my tang becomes a bully. He usually leave everything else alone. Do you think it would be a bad idea to get one with my bully tang?

Thanks

David

The problem with Cucumbers is that each species has it's own selective diet. Meeting the needs of their diets can be pretty hard. It's also quite common for them to get sucked in to power heads. There is supposed to be a variety of yellow cuke. that's not so finicky and stays small so if it does die it's not as likely to wipe out your tank.

thank for your info

I saw the one on liveaqauria.com that i seen a lot of people reference them not to be as posionius. I was thinking about getting one from keyscritters.com when i buy some snails and stars from them. I't doesn't say what kind they carry though but i have heard some really good complments of there stuff. THanks again

DAvid

I personally don't think they are worth it. You can find other critters to stir up the sand. Risking a cuke nuke is a bad idea IMO.

Ive had good luck and bad luck with them. I currently have a black one that is very hardy and stays mainly on the sand bed. BUT...a few months ago I had a pink and black one that climbed on to one of my closed loop intakes and had its guts sucked out killing all my fish. So yes it is a gamble, but they can also live without problems...

Back