Curing dry rock?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Myteemouse

NOTHING
I know this question has prolly been aswered a million times here but,
I have about 50 lbs of dry, boiled, rock that was once "LIVE"
I wanted to cure it befor I set up my 125.
What is the BEST and right way do do this.
I was thinking just a tub with a power head, maybe an air stone, and a skimmer and a heater.
Do I need a light or anything else?
And should I go get a bottle of pods to add to it?
is two months long enough and do I need to do water changes?
Any thing else I didn't write?

Did you actually "boil" the rocks? Or does it mean something else? Curious too since I will be doing the same thing soon. Curing my dried dead rocks that was once live...

Boiled in fresh water in a big pot for 30 mins !!!
STINKY!!!!!
Also brushed most hole with hard brisle brushes while in the water, FYI steam burns hurt alot!

The simplest method is stick it in a new garbage pail or tote with aheater, powerhead and a skimmer. Keep it in the dark. When the water quality stays good, it is ready for the tank. If you have enough rock or filtration already in an established tank, can cure it little by little right in the display.
On a side note, I have enjoyed your posts here, thanks.

Well I have about 50 lbs of cured well rock waiting for the new 125 already in my BIG sump and fuge
I was just trying to speedthe cycle in the new tank when I get it!
I know I should go slow but any help would be nice!
on a said note, thank you, I think?

Last edited:
That is one thing that confuses me!
I reado ne thread here were the guy had a cube and he did a rock wall weith rock and foam (the guy that had the problem with it floating the first time then glued it better)
he added corals and fish like three days after water???
I thought this was a big no no?

There is no single way to accomplish anything. If you like to flush new seawater down the drain than the sky is the limit. Ever look in any of those pristine tanks in hospitals, everything is swapped out weekly. Works great as a Fish Only System. If you want delacate corals, will need more bio-filtration to create the mature system with the stability needed for stuff like acro and some inverts.

If only hardy livestock, can cut out a lot of time

I reado ne thread here were the guy had a cube and he did a rock wall weith rock and foam (the guy that had the problem with it floating the first time then glued it better)

If I remember right Rick basicly transfered the contents of one tank to another live rock included.
The new addition feature was the foam wall, which doesn't have any die-off to create a cycle in itself.
The biggest thing you usually have to worry about is a mini type cycle because of the live rocks breif exposure to air.

I did it myself when moving for my old 180 to the 240.

I would think that you would be able to combine both the live rock and the dried live rock together in containers, with heater and powerheads and a small amounty of the bacteria would move over.
Maybe even toss in a damsel?

OH
So I could help the prosses of cureing by throwing in some cured liverock in the tub?
Sounds good to me!!!
I'll have to go to HOME DOPOT next weekend and get a good size tub!!
I think I got the rest (*except a skimmer) ie: heater, power head
Well I'll get them going in a week of two to gethte rock cured
two months should do it!

Yep, that was me. I used ~70 pounds of dry rock (so I could aquascape outside of the tank) and added about 25 pounds of existing rock to seed everything (~15 pounds in the sump). The new rock wasn't "cured" nor was the foam wall. I figured it wouldn't be a big deal to transfer my livestock right away since the new rock/wall didn't have anything on it to die off. Granted I took a bit of a risk but I didn't have any noticeable cycle, algae growth, etc at all. The new rock has tons of coralline/life/color and blends in nicely now.

oh !
So if I use l use 50 lbs of cured liverock from my sump now and 50 lbs of cured from my tub (cured for two months) and about 50 lbs of dry boiled clean rock, and dry clean sand with a couple scoops from my fuge to seed. I should be able to stock right away (slowly) a few fish and corals at a time? After the temp sets and the water clears?

Last edited:
Would be fine but start slow with a hardy inhabitant and watch the levels.
Might be better than you expect but be prepared for any result. One way or the other, will be good to go before you know it.

I just want to get my tang in a bigger tank!
Thats the MOST IMPORTANT thing to me!
The rest can wait!
I feel so bad for him right now even though he's one of the healthiest yellow tangs I've ever seen, He needs more room!!
Thanks guys!

What size tank do you have your yellow tang in currently?
29 gallon
He as small but he's sooo healthy he grew really fast!
He's ok in there but I want to get him more room to swim!!!
Some times I find him right in front of the power head swimming in the current for fun!
He also wreeks havock on my when I try to take pics of my corals, he always gets in my way.
I can hand feed him and he follows me around the tank when I'm looking in it on all sides!
By far the best character for a fish!

Would be fine but start slow with a hardy inhabitant and watch the levels.
Might be better than you expect but be prepared for any result. One way or the other, will be good to go before you know it.
I'm prolly gonna just wait about, at least, three weeks to add any fish or corals.
I just HATE looking into an empty tank!

Back