Curling shell

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

MikeS

Hi all

I have a large t. Derasa, it's been in my tank for a while, it's grown from the size of a golf ball to larger than a football and has always been healthy. I've seen a change in it recently and I'm wondering why and if I need to be concerned at all....3 months ago I moved the tank and removed a 5 year old DSB in favor of a BB setup. After doing so, I noticed a change in the growth of the shell on the derasa...instead of growing straight up, the upper edge of the shell has curled 180 degrees and is growing downwards....why is it doing this? Is this something I need to be concerned about, or is this normal in large clams?

thanks

MikeS

Hi Mike

is there any way to post a pic of the new shell growth? that doesnt sound typical for a Derasa, but the fact that it is growing is good. is it doing this on both halves of its shell?have you increased your Ca level ? did you buy a new test kit?

I'll take a picture soon...

yes, both sides of the shell are doing this...I have not increased my Ca levels and I have the same test kit I did before...the only major changes in the tank is the removal of the DSB and the addition of some new LR....

MikeS

somewhat, but not too bad...nothing hindering it's movement...

MikeS

just tagging along...Mike - is the shell 180 degrees turned outward, or inward?

i'm really sorry to hear about your clam dood.
i wish i could help you and i hope you find an answer for this.

Thanks Gabby...the clam appears to be doing just fine, other than the growth of the shell...

MikeS

Its probably been possessed by an evil spirit.

Best just to set it on fire to chase the spirit out.

:D

Nick

maxx said:
Its probably been possessed by an evil spirit.

Best just to set it on fire to chase the spirit out.

Nick

Or maybe bowl it down my driveway? I belive mojo mentioned this works wonders for clams...:lol:

MikeS

Dont you think thats a little rough on the clam????

:confused:

Nick

No change in the lights...but the flow is different now that it's a BB tank...more of it and more across the bottom of the tank....

The clam appears to be perfectly healthy, other than the new direction of the shell growth...

MikeS

FishinInTheDark said:
I know this is on Nikki's mind:

Maybe prolonged exposure to a toxic DSB mutated its DNA.

Conni - you read my mind! :lol:

Probibly just going with the new flow, hehe. Just an idea here but most clams do it. With the new flow across the bottom the clam is probibly trying to get more support for its mantle.

mike

mojoreef said:
Probibly just going with the new flow, hehe. Just an idea here but most clams do it. With the new flow across the bottom the clam is probibly trying to get more support for its mantle.

mike

That makes perfect sense actually Mike...there is a lot more flow across the base of the clam now than when I had the sandbed....thanks...

MikeS

Back