• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Reef Frontiers and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Customer Appreciation Sale 2012

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Another awesome sale! Thank you everyone at Barrier Reef. I was just looking to grab some supplies, but I couldn't resist a red planet frag and an awesome pagoda cup(that looks exactly like my first coral that I lost long ago!).

-Mini Raffle Results-

200 Gallon Mix Box Reef Crystals Salt - Gunner Godfrey
Red Sea Nitrate, Magnesium, Calcium Test Kit Package - Thi-Le V.
Red Sea Reef Foundation Supplements A, B, C, and D - Kelly Berry
Barrier Reef $50 Gift Card - Kacy Bradley & Adrian Gomez
Strawberry Shortcake Acropora - Charlyene Johnson
California Tortuosa Acropora - Jesse Rosen
Acropora Frag 4 Pack - Brad (Last 4 of Ph 9308)
Montipora Frag 3 Pack - Wayne (Last 4 of Ph 1985)
Jedi Mind Trick Montipora Frag - Derek Macintosh
Cherry Charm Zoa Frag - Theo A.
Alpha Omega Zoa Frag - Theo A.

Congrats to all the winners!

Thanks again to all of you for your support over the years, and your continued support in the future. We appreciate all of you and welcome your feedback on how to serve you better.

Thats really nice of you. as I said he was aclimated for 30 min, and was eating ( sand sifting straight away). can I just send you a pic of my way understocked tank, 50g macro fuge, and acros with good growth lol. I monitor with apex...actually test my water too( imagine that)( just sayin some don't and I think thats crazy)

just sayin isn't it harder to keep sps than fish? and so doesn't that mean fish didn't die from nasty water.

given all the way he could have died I appreciate your offer to replace. didn't expect that!!!

thanks!

I forgot to grab some algae scraping blades today, so I am glad I have two reasons to come back now ;)

I am so sad we didn't get to drive over last weekend for the sale :( Hope to make it over soon though, you guys always are good to us. Hopefully we can make it to the late summer/fall sale!

just sayin isn't it harder to keep sps than fish? and so doesn't that mean fish didn't die from nasty water.

thanks!

Hi,
Generally, but not always. This would be oversimplifying things.
1. Some fish are less durable than others. (Certain suppliers won't even offer live arrival gaurantees on some species because they just don't travel well.)
2. SPS that are in your tank may adapt to less than perfect conditions while a new animal, who is already under stress from being netted and bagged, might find the change to be stressful to the point of death.
3. Fish deal with the stress of other fish chasing them, especially as new arrivals. This causes fish to die all the time. Not an issue with coral. Completely unrelated to water but an example of fish being harder to keep than coral.

In general, yes SPS are extremely sensitive and can be difficult to keep, but we find fish to be just as challenging. So many more diseases, compatability issues, individual personalities and stress factors make them just about as tricky.

I'll go ahead put a credit under your name for the goby. I think I batch deleted our previous PM's about your appointment and need you to resend your name though:)

i did measure ther salinity when i got gome they are running hypo salinity. so i took extra long to aclimate my fish but was eating about 30 after placeing in tank verry happy so id say he didnt do a proper aclimation.

what was the sg? I don't think any store runs fish above 1.020. and prob way lower is moslty the case. not advantagous for many reasons and one big one being the cost of salt to run higher would have to be passed on to the consumer, and overall lower salinty is more benifitial to fish that are in stress...and fish that spend alot of time bieng captured and transported, and captured and trasported again, are in much stress.

if I had a fowlr system I'd prob lower my salinty with a water change each time I got a new fish, then gradually raise over next week or two to help even more with the aclimation.

Our fish wall's SG measured between 1.018-1.019 during the sale. We usually discuss slow acclimation with every fish purchase but during the craziness of our sale I could see this conversation not happening all the time. I'm going to put up signs on the three major systems that highlight the SG we run. Hopefully, this ensures proper acclimation.

Our fish wall's SG measured between 1.018-1.019 during the sale. We usually discuss slow acclimation with every fish purchase but during the craziness of our sale I could see this conversation not happening all the time. I'm going to put up signs on the three major systems that highlight the SG we run. Hopefully, this ensures proper acclimation.

Seems you are really trying to be honest here....when you are doing NOTHING wrong in the first place!

IMO if you are going to post signs I would include a detailed explanation of all the reasons why you choose that specific salinty, and how other stores even run MUCH lower. no need to cut your own throat for trying to be honest, and again doing nothing wrong!

or just don't post signs at all.

just my 2cents.

I remember reading about this before - I actually have the SG of my QT at about 1.020 and will gradually increase when getting ready to bump Sheldon (my new hippo tang) to the DT.

Back