Cyanobacteria and Red Slime Algae

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Cole_BB

I got my dad started on his first reef tank this past year. he is having problems with cyano and aptasias. I am just curious what are the most common underlying problems w/ cyano. also he adopted some live rock from somone that was getting rid of a tank. hes been using hot water and spotting them, will they every completely go away:confused: we started with a million

I have had great luck curing cyano by adjusting or increasing flow to the effected areas. With Aiptasia, I use Kalk Paste, made with Pickling Lime, and inject them with it. I've never had a large population of them to battle though. With such a large population, you might want to look into a Berghia nudibranch. They're supposed to do a great job of erradicating them, although, they starve with none to eat.

Peppermint shrimp have been known to eat aptasia, and try turning up your skimming for the cyno. Also, a phosban reator might help.

I second that Copper BB. I hade great luck getting two small ones so I would have better luck training them. Also took care of my problem with flow and a sand sifter goby for Cyano. Good luck

Back