Cycle/Liverock ?? for 180 gal

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Dalbery

Saltwater Nut
This weekend I'll finally have my 180 gallon FOWLR tank plumbed and ready to fill and start :D. I'm buying 100lbs of cured live rock. I know that's not going to be enough so I'll probably be buying another 100-150 lbs. My question is,is with the cured live rock in there and the tank not cycled am I safe to put uncured live rock in now, or should I cure it in a seperate container with a pump and skimmer on it? Second question is I've heard to cycle a tank it's good to throw a couple of dead shrimp in there to give the tank something to "feed" on for the cycle. Is this true??? Any advice will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Darrell

You can put the uncured in with the cured, as long as you don't have any livestock in there. If your tank is already cycling or close to being done, and you don't want to start a new ammonia spike, then you might want to cure the new rock in a separate container - its really up to you.

Using uncured rock in a tank is a great way to start the cycle. All the decaying organics present on the uncured rock are perfect for this job. A few raw shrimp in the tank is a good way to start the cycle process without uncured rock.

Hope this makes sense!

It doesn't matter if you mix cured with uncured live rock if you're starting a new tank as long as you don't have any livestock in it. Adding uncured rock will start a mini-cycle over again.

Adding a dead shrimp to your tank would be superfluous to the cycle.

If you didn't already buy the cured live rock, you might buy the uncured first, cure it, then infuse it with some cured stuff that will hopefully bring in yet more organisms that wouldn't be nuked if you do get a big spike from your uncured stuff. Just an idea anyway ;).

Barbie

Back