Cycling a new reef

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

So how long does the hair algae infestation phase usually last?

all parameters are now stable and low - ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, phosphate etc
amm - undetectable
nitrite - undetectable
nitrate - <5ppm
phosphate - undetectable

I can't find anything in the water that the algae could be using as nutrient?

Hair algae is covering most surfaces of the new but cured live rock - any thoughts on how to control this, given the water parameters?

4ft 55gal
5gal sump (small)
Deltec mte 600 skimmer on sump
1 tunze 6000 stream + 1 6055 nanostream
2x 250w MH pendants.
running activated carbon and phosphate scrubber in hang on power filter for now - no other filtration
30Kg Fiji cured premium LR,
30Kg Aragonite sand bed 3-4" deep seeded with 2 bags live sand.

3 turbo snails
1 cleaner shrimp
3 red legged hermits
1 bubble anemone

You can't measure any nutrients because it is being utilized by the algae. Your skimmer running will certainly help with removing any excess. Keep up with water changes, and let it run its course. When you perform your water changes, you can try and suck some of the algae up with the water change water. Just give it time. I see you already added an anemone to the tank. I would have advised against this, as your tank is not yet stable. Just keep an eye on it. I would also add some other snails to get more of a variety. Some trochus, nerite, cerith, and nassarius for your sandbed. How long is your photoperiod?

DonW - wouldn't only the calcium need to be adjusted to 395 ppm with the current alkalinity? 395 ppm of calcium is balanced with alk 87.5 ppm/4.9dKh

DonW - wouldn't only the calcium need to be adjusted to 395 ppm with the current alkalinity? 395 ppm of calcium is balanced with alk 87.5 ppm/4.9dKh

Nikki,

Its more so a concern about testing error or the possibility of overall testing errors. 4.9 dkh is low for any salt and since he's doing water changes and has nearly no consumption somthing is wrong.

Don

I see what you're saying, thanks Don! I guess we need to wait to hear about which salt mix and/or which test kit is being used.

Hi guys,

thanks for the replies. The salt I was using is a 'generic sea salt' from the LFS. When I rang to find out which manufacturer or what the source was he was pretty evasive.

I've just done a 50% water change using Tropical Marine Reef Pro Salt and will do another 30% over the weekend. TMC Reef Pro http://www.tmc-ltd.co.uk/aquarium/pro-reef.asp is guaranteed to have zero nitrate, zero phosphate and has an buffer already in place.

We'll see what happens over the next week to ten days.

I appreciate the help, thank you.

I also added an actinic blue T5 and put the halides on a shorter photo period. The actinic is on for about 3hrs, then the halides come on for about 7hrs, back to the actinic for 2hrs in the evening. Previously the halides were on for about 11 hrs.

As per the advice about snails I added 25 small (real small) detritus eaters and sand sifter snails. Am on the lookout for some more algae eaters.

4ft 55gal
5gal sump (small)
Deltec mte 600 skimmer on sump
1 tunze 6000 stream + 1 6055 nanostream
2x 250w MH pendants.
1x 58w actinic blue
running activated carbon and phosphate scrubber in hang on power filter for now - no other filtration
30Kg Fiji cured premium LR,
30Kg Aragonite sand bed 3-4" deep seeded with 2 bags live sand.
TMC Reef Pro Salt ( previously unbranded :oops: )

3 turbo snails
10 VIBEX snails
15 OBSOLETA snails
1 cleaner shrimp
3 red legged hermits
1 bubbletip anemone

Last edited:
Latest test results:

Ammonia - undetectable
Nitrite - undetectable
Nitrate - undetectable
PO4 - undetectable
Alkalinity - 4.9 DKH
Ca - 400ppm
Ph - 8.3

Are these results getting close - I'm not too clear on the Ca/Alk/Ph relationships
Does anyone know of an alkalinity/Ca balance calculator on the web ?

First photo of full tank in my Photo Gallery

KN_Reef_22-08-08.jpg

Last edited:
Here is the calc. http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chem_calc3.html. 4.9dkh is low, Id have the test results checked. What test kits are you using?

Don

Hi Don, thanks for the reply and URL

The Alk test kit is Aquarium Systems fasTest (Aquarium Systems make Instant Ocean)

The Ca, Phos, Ph test kits are Nutrafin by Hagen

The Amm, Nitrate and Nitrite are by Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Inc

I'm still using saliferts for Ca Alk and Mg and Hanna colorimeter for P. I dont test the others, since your tank is new you should. Ive also heard good thing about Eleos.

Don

I'm still using saliferts for Ca Alk and Mg and Hanna colorimeter for P. I dont test the others, since your tank is new you should. Ive also heard good thing about Eleos.

Don

Hi Don, went and bought a set of Salifert test kits - here are the results:

Ca - 300
dKH - 7
Magnesium - 1110

So next question - given that I don't have a dosing pump what sort of method would you recommend for getting the calcium and alkalinity supplements added. I'm guessing the slower the better and not just dumping in a cap full at a time.

Any recommendations - I'm using liquid supplements (Kent Tech A+B)

Ca = 360
Alk = 8.5 dKH
Ph = 8.3

getting closer on these params, all other params stable
hair algea still a problem, but i don't think it is getting any worse. In fact I think it has lost some of its vibrancy. We might be making progress on this too ;-)

Back