Cycling time frame

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Holygral

Holygral
When I last upgraded from a 55 to a 75 (due to leaker), I just transferred everything with no problems. My new 125 has 100# of cured LR. About a week after the start up I added another 30# that was cured but shipped wet for a 2 day transit. (it smelled fine) I also added a couple scoops of sand from my old tank and 2 pieces of raw scallops. It is now 3 weeks later and I am still reading no ammonia, NO2 or NO3. Is it just not enough time yet or is there a possibility that it may not go thru a cycle? When I switch tanks, I will be adding about 60# more of rock from established tank.

thanks

i did the same when i went from my 55 to the 90 and never had a cycle, did the same going from the 90 (minus adding new rock) and i dont think it is going to cycle either, at most you may get a mini cycle

When I last upgraded from a 55 to a 75 (due to leaker), I just transferred everything with no problems. My new 125 has 100# of cured LR. About a week after the start up I added another 30# that was cured but shipped wet for a 2 day transit. (it smelled fine) I also added a couple scoops of sand from my old tank and 2 pieces of raw scallops. It is now 3 weeks later and I am still reading no ammonia, NO2 or NO3. Is it just not enough time yet or is there a possibility that it may not go thru a cycle? When I switch tanks, I will be adding about 60# more of rock from established tank.

thanks

Sounds a little confusing, did you already switch to the 125 or you planning to?

The 100# of cured rock most likely had plenty of bacteria as well as the sand and tank itself to take in the ammonia/nitrite coming off the 30# to where you wouldn't see anything. I'm sure there was some detectable ammonia, but it was probably gone shortly after it arrived. The same would go for the nitrites that were produced.

Forgot to mention. If it's been 3 weeks, you're probably 2 and a half weeks past the actual cycle. Even brand new uncured rock with no cured rock added only takes a couple weeks for it to cycle.

Tanks cycle continuously it never stops completely but the rate & amount changes once your tank reaches equilibrium. If you add more cured Lr from the tank your switching from it most probably will have some spikes but I doubt it would harm anything as you already have so much rock established to take care of it as it happens. Catching such spikes would require a continual monitoring to actually see the spikes as they occur. Seeding your sand on the other hand is basically unnecessary it will mature with bacteria from your rocks.

You're right Scooter. Everytime you add any ammonia that isn't normally there, you get a cycle because the tank only has enough bacteria to consume what is normally in the tank.

Either way though, Holygral, your new rock is cured and the tank has cycled.

Nobody can really say wether or not your tank has actually "cycled". I'd give it a full six weeks and not worry about rushing the process.

Don

Nobody can really say wether or not your tank has actually "cycled". I'd give it a full six weeks and not worry about rushing the process.

Don

Thanks Don, but wouldn't I have some kind of NO2 or 3 or even ammonia after 3 weeks? Plus considering I added raw scallops 3 weeks ago? I am not rushing but I have no living room left with 2 tanks :) Plus I need to avoid the tang police.

Who knows my crystal ball is broken. You may have missed it or it hasn't come yet. Mine took 5 weeks before it even started. The one before that started within days.

Don

You didn't see any readings because the 100lbs. of rock loaded with bacteria consumed it or is consuming it fast enough for it to not show up. In reality, it's already consumed it which is why you don't see any nitrites. See, whatever was dead on the uncured rock started to be consumed by bacteria shortly after you put the rock in there. That bacteria would give off the ammonia. That ammonia would be consumed by a different bacteria giving off it's waste as nitrites etc., etc.

Last edited:
That bacteria would give off the ammonia. That ammonia would be consumed by a different bacteria giving off it's waste as nitrites etc., etc.

Close but not. Waste and decaying matter produce ammonia. Bacteria converts that to nitrite, more bacteria convert nitrite to nitrate and finally nitrate is consumed.

Could be you missed it or you just havent created enough ammonia to get the ball rolling its hit and miss.

Don

Sorry Don, I guess I should have clarified that. The decaying caused by bacteria releases ammonia. Things don't just decay on there own.

I stated close but not because. Trophic bacterial level of the nitragenus waste has nothing to do with the cycle process. Its bacteria held within the waste itself not the lr. This is why we us biofiltration

Don

Back