dead...

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

bighitrider45

clown fish
so i woke up today and fed my damsels as always and went off to school..but when i got home one was dead and stuck to the intake on my powerhead, I quickly tested my water and my nitrates and nitrites and ammonia were all at zero. Im stumped on what could have happned, i think the damsels might have attacked eachother, im not sure if they are territorial, they are striped damsels and ive had them for about a week.......i have live sand and live rock and three snails in my tank and its been set up about a month. does anyon know what happned? or have an idea?

Most healthy fish dont simply get sucked up into a powerhead. Usually only stupid anenomes do that. Your fish could have had intestinal problems, a bacterial infection, hidden injury from shipping, etc.... It could have been any number of things. The only real way to find out is to call CSI or the coroner. :lol:

The only real way to find out is to call CSI or the coroner.

:lol: CSI: Lynnwood :lol:

I agree, a healthy fish wont get stuck to a powerhead.

LMBO!!!:lol: CSI

well i think what could have happened is that they fought but this time the one still alive just took it to the next level while you were in school .

it also might be that he was the underdog and he was not getting enough food and was getting harrased by the other damsels. this took a toll on him and he got weak enough that could not fight the intake and got pulled in. damsels are territorial and i also think that they have pecking order too, now that he is dead the next underdog will start getting harrased and then the next and then the next until the strong one will remain. the only way to lessen this is to have so many damsels in your tank that one specific one will not get bullied and targetted. goodluck, jakleen

haha okay thanks every one, i tried to put a gaurd over my powerhead intake so hopefully nothing else gets sucked in and the other damsel is doing fine and is very active

Sorry to hear about your loss...Sometimes fish just die for no apparent reason to us even when everything checks out well. If your others are still doing well, then I think you have nothing to worry about:)

pff there's always some killer fish involved
In my case, Its my two blue chromis. They have pushed three fish over board, er, I mean out of the tank. I have had a wrasse, a flame hawk and an orange spot goby (of all things) jump out of my well protected tank. I am convinced the chromis have a plan for all of the less agressive I introduce from now on.:lol:

A damsel? They just dont die! They live for ever and ever and ever.....

I have a three striped I will give you if you can catch him ;)

perhaps the damsel owed a debt and couldn't pay up, so the boss damsel put a hit out on it and made it look like the powerhead was to blame. I'd question the suspects & look for more evidence.

3 stripes are the mad angry damsels 2....

i could be wrong but they require a lot of food... they like 2 eat...

but dont beat your self up you said your tank was up for a month....

my first few fish did some power headage move's and a carpet surff'r as well...

it taks time, give it some time, watch your snails make sure they are happy. and try ageain soon... slowly

so my tank is a 10 gallon and i tested the water after it died and everyhting was fine, also i only had 2 damsels and only three snails, no corals at the time so im assuming it was the other damsel

Back