DEEP WATER Siphone Break

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Peppie

Pic is worth a thousand word.
Sorry you have to lay down to read it. (New Photobucket Pi%#^ me off)

20130324_184834_zps189d4817.jpg

Am I asking for trouble?

Peppie you're always asking for trouble!

I'd say as long as your sump can hold the amount of water that will back syphon until the tubing has cleared the surface, you're good!

You know what I am wondering, will 1/4" tubing clog easy from salt creep? Will keeping the end in the water or out of the water keep it from clogging? Will it not clog because of flow thru it?

Peppie you're always asking for trouble!

I'd say as long as your sump can hold the amount of water that will back syphon until the tubing has cleared the surface, you're good!

Trouble? Me?
The sump can handle the backwash. The tubing will be approx 1/2'' below DT water line.

You know what I am wondering, will 1/4" tubing clog easy from salt creep? Will keeping the end in the water or out of the water keep it from clogging? Will it not clog because of flow thru it?

There will be flow thru the 1/4'' tubing that is submerged 1/2'' deep in the DT.
I am wondering if I should use 3/8 tubing. And will that be enough air to stop the siphone???

looks like trouble to me. :)

Maybe a bit of R&D is in order.
Maybe another hole or two in the 3/4'' down tube, just below the DT waterline would act as solid redundancy??

I want to use my return flow lower in the tank.

doooooomed! lol peppie dosn't look for trouble it just comes and slaps him around!!! 3/8 bigger hole more air to enter quicker and geeeze b sure to secure it don't want it to spray all over the place oh yeah my neck hurts thanks peppie!!

doooooomed! lol peppie dosn't look for trouble it just comes and slaps him around!!! 3/8 bigger hole more air to enter quicker and geeeze b sure to secure it don't want it to spray all over the place oh yeah my neck hurts thanks peppie!!

LOL Josh,
The now 3/8" tubing would feed thru the eurobrace with some type of coupler on the bottom side of the eurobrace to prevent it from flipping up out of the hole.
If I go much larger than 3/8'' tubing I wont get any flow out of the locline at the bottom/mid-point of the tank.

Maybe I should just add another CL

I dont get it.... why use a tube? I thought you just put a small hole just below the water line?

that i/4 tubing really needs to be airtight on the pvc connection or else it will suck air and create micro bubbles on the outlet. I

Maybe Im just missing something???

Maybe a bit of R&D is in order.
Maybe another hole or two in the 3/4'' down tube, just below the DT waterline would act as solid redundancy??

I want to use my return flow lower in the tank.
What's the thought behind the tubing? as oppose to just having a hole or two as you suggested in the down tube?

I dont get it.... why use a tube? I thought you just put a small hole just below the water line?

that i/4 tubing really needs to be airtight on the pvc connection or else it will suck air and create micro bubbles on the outlet. I

Maybe Im just missing something???

The thought for the tubing was... The air break point of entry is at the highest point of the circuit. Not sure if that makes a difference.??? Thats why I am looking for info.
The tubing would be fit into a John gusset fitting to assure it was air tight.

when your return pump shuts off and everthing back siphons that air line will also suck water....and anything else that can plug that air line back through it.

when your return pump shuts off and everthing back siphons that air line will also suck water....and anything else that can plug that air line back through it.

The air line will only suck in 1/4" to 1/2" of water out of the CTC weir. Which in turn will run dry cause the CTC it will be higher than the drain.

What if I were to drill 6-8 holes in the end of the air line ensuring that one or two pieces of crud wouldnt clog the hose.

Does it sound like I am grasping for straws here?? LOL

Last edited:
for me nothing beats the certainty of just having your closest return line near the surface of the water. interested in why you are woking so hard at this...you never told me....keepin secrets huh? lol.

many a siphon break have been used exactly the way you are describing and run for years with no problems BUT, it is a question of when it will fail because, it WILL.

drill as many holes as you like and its still only going to suck from one of them!!! ( there is your 3 exclamation marks lol)

so what if you came up from the bottom with your return like you want and then come up tall above a high rock as close to the surface as you need to be?

Back